Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning how to vs Being told

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I have just been learning how to make some stuff with Visual Basic and then comparing what I learned there with Code Academy. I might be in the early stages of though regarding the Visual Basic tutorials.

But what I like about code academy is that they don't tell you what you need to do to make something happen; they explain what a piece of code is and how it works and then ask you to do something to make something happen, thus by you having to figure out what code to write to make it happen.

This is the way I like to learn, how it works for myself and that way hopefully it can stick with me. The next thing is just practice until it becomes second nature. Probably what I was looking for in regards to Visual Basic tutorials is actually having a vision in mind when learning.

I think it's important to be able to learn how for oneself how many things work rather than just being told. For example you could say that you could be told the answer to every mathematical equation but unless you know and continue to practice the formulas coupled with imagination to get to the conclusion then you're probably never going to get anywhere.  

Now with all of this in mind I should be able to go on and develop even further; all that's needed is self-learning, guidance if needed and a vision.

I hope this all makes sense and thanks for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Veitch

Veitch

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

I agree that you have to practice a lot for yourself and that working on own projects is the best motivation to keep programming.

However, if you solely learn by yourself and never look into the ways other people program and how the recommendations for the style in that specific programming language are, it is very likely that you get into the habit of bad coding practices which are hard to get rid off.

For every programming language there are coding conventions, meaning a kind of style to code that is recommended. These conventions increase readability for other people reading your code and decrease the risk of bugs for yourself. You should adhere to these conventions from the beginning, because once you get into a bad habit it will be hard to remove that habit.

For most programming languages you also have design patterns, especially in OOP. Once you feel kind of fluent in a language have a look at these too. They are general solutions for design problems that occur often. These solutions and their names are kind of conventional too, because programmers know them and will recognize fast, what you want to achieve, if they see such code.

Note that this is not only important if you intent to publish your code or work with others. It also is, if you solely program for yourself and out of fun. Apart from the benefits you get, because you don't have to reinvent the wheel or find out for yourself what works well. You also will, at some point in time, talk to other programmers about code, or need some help for a programming problem, and then you need a common language to speak about it to describe what you want and you will most probably show code to others.

Edited by Veitch, 30 July 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#3 Gotcha_Hotshot22

Gotcha_Hotshot22

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:25 AM

Oh.My.God. You just described me in everyway possible! Thats how I learned to program in batch and I can't seem to learn any other way! 

Thanks so much for letting me know about this site, you're a life saver!

Thanks,

Daniel

#4 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:26 PM

VB is a dangerous language to learn online. It's 90% terrible examples. Which code academy are you learning with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users