Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google verification codes coming from strange number

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

i have 2 step security set up on one of my google accounts so every time i log in i get a text with a 6 digit number to act as a second security layer. and then something weird happened, the first time it only happened once and was many months back, rather than coming from a caller id of "GOOGLE" or "google" the text came from a +4477........ number. then in the last few weeks it has started coming, not every time maybe on about 20% of my logins, from a +4869....... number. i have looked up and +48 is in poland, +486 and +4869 are not country codes themselves. i am in the uk and i've never visited poland (so have not made logins to google from their or ever had my phone in that country) so i am baffled how my google verification codes have started coming from a weird selection of polish numbers. has anyone else had google verification codes carrying real phone numbers as caller ID rather than simply the ID of "google or "GOOGLE". if so have you ever had those codes coming from foreign telephone numbers? should i be concerned about this. the first time it happened i filed a report to google through some "report a vulnerability" form they had(it all seems pretty suspicious that the call should go through a random country), the only way i could see to get anything to the eyes of a human employee of theirs, but never got any response.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

this weird stuff is still happening, any thoughts anyone?

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:05 PM

happened again a few days back,weird.

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

still happening, no apparent cause.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Since I'm in the US I'm not familiar with European telco dialing. But I found this in relation to your +4869.

Free UK Number in Poland-Mobile +4869

http://www.freeuknumber4u.com/free-uk-number/free-uk-number-in-Poland-Mobile-4869.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users