Sadly don't have access to the PC anymore, but I'm trying to gain the knowledge if I encounter this going forward. Tried to install QuickBooks 2014 via DVD on a Windows 8.1 system two weeks ago. The splash screen would appear, then disappear, and never continue. I tried:
- turning off Windows Firewall (didn't have any others on their network)
- no antivirus to turn off
- copying files to C: and running from there
- both auto-run and manually exploring DVD drive for setup.exe file
- running from another PC's DVD drive, then shared over the network
- successfully ran the install on another PC from the same DVD
I remember I perused QuickBooks' site for help without avail, and the Event Viewer on the PC, but didn't see anything pertinent. I was able to turn off Windows Defender through the Control Panel, but not through services.msc. I didn't have the permissions, yet I was signed on as a local admin, and right-clicked Services in order to Run as administrator.
The lack of permissions to turn off Defender made me think there was some sort of virus preventing the install. I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 and was able to run the DVD fine. Any suggestions? Has anyone encountered this before with QuickBooks or another piece of software?