Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BullwinkleJ

BullwinkleJ

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

I am trying to get to the root of a constant crash with Windows 8.1 but am feeling fairly helpless and could use some guidance.

After running for a while (doesn't seem to be a set time of any sort, but longer than a half hour, at least), Windows locks up and then reboots.  It can happen while I'm on Chrome or when I'm just away from the computer (I'll hear it reboot from the next room).  I usually have a website open, so I don't know if it's related to that or not.

If I catch it rebooting, there is often purple artifacting on the screen beforehand, which makes me wonder about my NVidia GeForce drivers (340.43).  

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro on an Asus G50V laptop with 8GB of RAM and an Intel Core Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.66Ghz/2.27Ghz.  I'm sure there's more info needed, so let me know.

I used to know what I was doing, but I can't even figure out which error in the Event Viewer is causing the crash.

Can someone guide me through a way to fix my issue?

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

The immediate reboot seems to reduce the chance that it's heat related. This would then suggest that it may then be RAM related. The other possibility is the HDD.

I'd run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the HDD and then something like memtest86

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

If you believe this is related to you Nvidia drivers you could set the computer to boot into Safe Mode.  Safe Mode uses a native driver, not the nvidia drivers.  So if the problem is with the driver it should not reoccur in Safe Mode.

You can find instructions at the Windows Startup Settings (including Safe Mode) article.

If this fails to indicate the nvidia drivers please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 BullwinkleJ

BullwinkleJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thank you both.

In writing it down, I thought I should go back to an earlier driver for my graphics card which seems to have done the trick.

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Sounds like you have a solution

Great

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe