Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A few questions about backing up just Linux and not Windows, etc.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

I'll just list them...

1. I usually make full backups of everything on my HD, which contains XP and Linux Puppy (a couple versions). Is there a way to backup just the Linux parts on the HD? 

2. Can this only be done using Linux programs or can I use my Paragon software to do it? (I have Pbackup).

3. I'm currently running my Linux using Live CDs, and storing changes on the HD.  i"m going to switch over to loading it from usb or an sd card. Will the info on my HD be ok as it exists or will it somehow have to be changed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

1. I usually make full backups of everything on my HD, which contains XP and Linux Puppy (a couple versions). Is there a way to backup just the Linux parts on the HD?

Since you're currently running Puppy using LiveCD's and loading an external savefile, you just need to make a copy of the savefile on your backup drive. Remember when you shut Puppy down for the first time and it asked you to save a file to a USB thumb drive or hard drive? Well, that is the savefile you want to make a backup of, so the location of this file depends on where you orignally saved it to.

2. Can this only be done using Linux programs or can I use my Paragon software to do it? (I have Pbackup).

Since the savefile is one single file stored on a device, you can use anything to back it up that is capable of saving a file to a new destination. However, Puppy does have a simple tool you can use to backup the savefile of Frugal installations, which is located at: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PupsaveBackup

3. I'm currently running my Linux using Live CDs, and storing changes on the HD.  i"m going to switch over to loading it from usb or an sd card. Will the info on my HD be ok as it exists or will it somehow have to be changed.

This largely depends on how you install Puppy..

• Frugal installations use the savefile method of storing personal data. You should be able to just copy your savefile to the Frugal installation and restore your personal settings.
  • Full installations install like a normal GNU/Linux distribution and don't use savefiles to store personal data. You could use http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php if your current backup software isn't up to the task.

You should also check out the following documentation:

Edited by Kaosu, 28 July 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Great, thanks.

I was hoping it would be that easy.

Now if only I could find one more distro to settle down with, in addition to my Precise Puppy.

I need one that is capable of dial-up. I'm trying Mint (like everyone else) but for some reason I can't get the iso to write to my R/W DVD's. I think I'll just buy some simple DVD's and try it with them. I'm also going to try Zorin.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

I can't get the iso to write to my R/W DVD's.

I have found this to be an issue also. I found that disks will not burn if they are - However + do,

in addition to my Precise Puppy.

You are updating Puppy?  Precise Puppy has the SSL problem.
Reminder To Update Puppy Linux .

How to update SSL Puppy Linux .

Edited by NickAu1, 28 July 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#5 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:56 PM

Yep. It's updated.

I follow your postings!

I'd be lost with Puppy Precise.

I liked Carolina but the driver to run my adapter wasn't included in it. 

I found that disks will not burn if they are - However + do,

Not sure what you mean there. I've been trying my rewritables but with no luck at all.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

Some burners (or OS's) won't burn or write to RW media. The common type these days are the -R type, though there also some that takes +R also, I see both types on promo on the Newegg site all the time. About the only use I have for RW media these days are for creating recovery media for backup & partitioning software, which it seems are constantly upgrading. Especially Macrium Reflect. 

There's others tasks that can't be done with RW media, such as creating recovery disc sets, whatever app that's handling this will simply reject the media. I didn't try doing it, but seen it on the monitor, that rewritables couldn't be used, so used the DVD+R media that was onhand. The last three years, the only type I've purchased was the -R type, which seems to go well with everything. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,601 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

Brian2009, you should put your specs in your signature, always, whenever possible.  This will help all help you.  I had no issues using RW-DVD's but as Cat stated this can be different for many reasons, and it says so in some of the LM literature-at the blog or download site I forget which.

I found that disks will not burn if they are - However + do,   This did not make sense to me either but you will have to read up on that or Nick will get back with that.  The important thing IMO, the RW part, as it needs to be R only, I forget what the - means, I knew at one time but it was not important enough for me to remember lol.  Here is a simple article that will tell you that the DVD-R is compatible with older stuff as the DVD-RW is for stuff of newer technology that has re-writable capabilities, this could be the issue.  http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-dvd-r-and-vs-dvd-rw/  And here is an even better article that shows all about the - and + aspects very good and simple:  http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/dvd-drive-differences.html

Edited by pcpunk, 31 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

That's a couple of good sources there that pcpunk posted.  :thumbup2:

Today, for the most part, all CD/DVD RW (read & write) optical drives can "see" most all types of this media, even read & boot from CD/DVD RW media. However some apps cannot use rewriteable media, while others can. One reason may be to protect again the piggybacking of malware, which can write itself onto the RW media & be distributed to most any Windows computer it's inserted in. 

I can understand why the Recovery Media creation software would reject the RW type of media. 

Evidently, it's also used less frequently, used to be most everywhere, now it's hard to find & expensive where it can be. 

Whereas one can find 50 packs of DVD-R media for less than $8 on promo. Same with CD-R, but at the same price, why bother? The CD-R, which holds a max of 700MB, holds only 15% of what a DVD-R will hold. At the same price, one whom has an optical drive that can only read & write to CD's benefits & given the low prices of optical drives today, would be better served to upgrade to a CD/DVD RW optical drive to take advantage of the extra capacity. 

I know that a few years back, DVD+R was popular & many computers had the type of optical drives for that media. However, Windows 7 brought a lot of change along with it, that's when I began to notice some retailers were marking down the +R media like crazy (which is why I bought a 100 pack). These were only $10 for the Sony brand, the -R's of the 100 count was like $25 (& of a lesser quality brand, JVC), sitting on the same table. My optical drive could use either, so grabbed what was on promo & that was that. If I were to run across the same deal today, would do the same. 

Thanks to pcpunk for the sources above for the benefit of the community.  :thumbsup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users