Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Causing Instant Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 KK_AND_DK

KK_AND_DK

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Okay i have this old V2 Premier PC with a model P4VMM2 motherboard version 1.0 i think. It contains an AMI BIOS. I dont know when this happened but whenever the processor is in the socket, it shuts down the pc while it on. The processor is an intel pentium 4. I take of the switch at the back of the power supply to cut of the power then i wait 10 seconds and flip the switch back on then turn on the pc with the processor inside and i here 1 short beep code. I looked up the beep codes for that motherboard and BIOS and it says that 1 short beep represents a DRAM failure but i can have the two ram cards in or out without the processor inside and turn it on and it runs. can someone give me a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

Maybe a BIOS update is required for that CPU to run? 

What, if any other CPU was installed prior & did the PC run fine then? 

Is this a computer like yours? If so, I can't get to the driver site. Keep getting "Domain available" errors. 

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/271-viscom-v2-premier-problems/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

A few tests, with the cpu installed and no ram installed power on and see if you get a different post code. If not move on.

WIth the cpu installed, put only 1 stick of ram in 1 slot. If you get the same single beep code, move the ram stick to the next empty slot on the mainboardand test again. Continue to move the stick to each slot on the board and re-test until you have tested that stick in all slots by itself. If you still get 1 beep, try your other stick of ram in each slot by itself. If you have a bad stick of ram, the computer should have post fault beep codes with the stick in all of the available slots. If you have a bad slot on the mainboard, all sticks of ram tried in that slot should cause a post fault beep.

I am not 100% certain with P4 intel cpu/mainboard combos but with certain older amd mainboards, a cpu must be installed to receive a post fault beep code. What this means is that with no cpu installed you would get no post fault beep. When you install the cpu and you then get a post fault beep code pointing at ram, it indicates to me the cpu and mainboard may be functioning correctly and the fault more likely lies with the ram.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2014 - 10:43 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users