Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 isn't not awesome, it's just lame.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zackers

Zackers

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

I've read a lot of complaints about Windows 8, but mine ar?.superficial than most. The desktop's just ugly. I don't like.the square, flat, non-glassy look. I don't mind the menu, the controls, the apps ill never use. That's the main thing that keeps me go I.g back to Windows 7.

I've played with some free programs that add transparency to Windows but it's not much. Is there something to really make it pretty?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:26 AM

There are some really great core security features about it, but I have to agree with you that it is a dog to use and irrelevant to most desktop users...

The funny thing is, that under most of the back to front and poorly thought out graphic user interface the control panel and functionality is mostly the same.

It's not even really different, they just broke it to make it seem special. :smash:

Here's hoping that they get it right with Windows 9 next year...

Edited by TsVk!, 28 July 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

I have been using Ubuntu off and on dual booting with XP. I have to say Ubuntu is a joy to use compared to Windows 8 without Classic Shell.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

All things considered, I have no big issues with Windows 8, overall.  The two "major" things are:

1.  No start menu like Windows XP, Vista, or 7.  However I use Stardock's Start 8 (about $5.00).

2.  The problems encountered with Windows 8.1U had installing.  But I worked out the issues, and now have the instructions to work through that.

The start screen (where the tiles are) isn't the "desktop".  In windows 8.1, a person can cause windows bypass the start screen, and go to the desktop.

1.  Right-click on an empty area of your taskbar.
2.  Click on the "Properties" option.
3.  Click on the Navigation tab.
4.  Click the check box to the left of "When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the Desktop instead of Start".
5.  Click the "Apply".
6.  Click Ok button.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users