Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nortons Security Systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chucky2

chucky2

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

My friend just purchased Win8 and it came with Nortons Security System for a limited time...he then purchased Mcaffe and asked me to install it.. I will uninstall Nortons.. but I am aware it is not easy to completely uninstall ...so normally I use Revo uninstaller for a clean uninstall on my own computer which is still running XP

my question ..I am not up on Win 8 and was wondering would it be OK to download Revo and uninstall Nortons safely....  or just uninstall using control panel... add remove programs

Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.
Moved to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software from Windows 8. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Norton Removal Tool Download

See if this helps you out.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,768 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

How to Uninstall Norton AntiVirus
How to Uninstall Norton AntiVirus Online
Uninstalling your Norton product

It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall. The link provided by Cobalt006 for downloading the Norton Removal Tool redirects to the vendor's website.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users