Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloading Ubuntu Right Now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

It is downloading to my downloaded files. I wanted to download it to a thumbdrive but it did not give me an option. Is this bad? I don't want to over write my current OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:48 AM

Try using the firefox add-on called downthemall, as a suggestion. 

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:10 AM

It is downloading to my downloaded files. I wanted to download it to a thumbdrive but it did not give me an option. Is this bad? I don't want to over write my current

All you are doing is downloading an ISO. No problem it wont .

In Windows7 if you want to make a live dvd, Insert a blank dvd into your drive and double click the ISO windows will burn it as a bootable iso that you can boot a pc from or use to install the os.

Have you got the correct version for you PC?

Have you done this before?

What are your intentions?

Do you need any help?

Feel free to ask if you need help or do not understand something,  and we can guide you thru it.

Edited by NickAu1, 28 July 2014 - 02:26 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#4 Michael Ortega

Michael Ortega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

I can dual boot now. I burned the Ubuntu Distro onto a DVD Disc and that works fine. I tried installing it side by side windows but could not get it to work. If Ubuntu could handle ADOBE I would overwrite Windows right now. I really like the elegance. I will probably buy a cheap used laptop to use as a dedicated Linux platform.

I know nothing about Linux but so far so good.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

I also have Ubuntu dual-booting with XP. I really like it. In fact, I prefer it to Windows 8 but then again I would prefer anything to Windows 8. What is neat about Ubuntu is the ability to have multiple desktops and switching between those desktops at a click of the mouse. I am looking forward to the linux class starting Aug 1.

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 July 2014 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users