Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed new driver keyboard and mouse longer responding

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

I am desperate. I just installed a new driver for USB ports and now my mouse and keyboard aren't responding. I have a feeling I am totally screwed here. I can boot up but can't move anything on the screen to go back to a restore point. Any advice?  

I am currently in full panic mode.

I should add that I can choose which windows XP operating system I can log onto (there are two). I can use the keyboard to move up and down between the two choices.  After that, no mouse, no keyboard response.  And no, it doesn't matter which Windows XP system I choose,,. still no mouse, no keyboard.  I already tried. 

Edited by Kaityf, 27 July 2014 - 06:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

plug the mouse into a different usb port......try the ports on the front of the computer

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

I already tried that. It didn't work. That's why I'm desperate.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

can you access safe mode ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Yes, I can, but as I said, I can't do anything while in safe mode as neither the keyboard nor the mouse will respond.

I thought about trying to boot from a XP installation disk, but alas, I see no option to choose for that. I see no way into bios either to get the computer to boot up from a CD.  I've tried booting from every option when I hit F8 to get to Safe Mode.  Nothing works.  I even tried unplugging the USB ports in the back and plugging them back in thinking the computer might see them as new hardward and install some working drivers.  Nope. That didn't work either.

I am at a total loss.

Edited by Kaityf, 27 July 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

OK, I will report this as unbootable.

Be patient.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

Thank you. I can't do much more but be patient! lol

#8 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:00 PM

Since I have nothing else to do, I'm still "playing" around seeing what I can't and can't do.  I managed to find my way to bios and changed the order of boot up disks so that I can boot from a CD.  I got to the repair console. Is there a way to roll back drivers from there? Or reinstall one?  Deinstall one so Windows will automatically reinstall on boot up?  Something?  Anything?

I'm not totally computer illiterate, but my skills are quite limited. In other words, there is a limit to what I'll play with or experiment with. I know better than that. Btw, when I installed the new driver, it was a driver update found through a driver program. I don't know if something went wrong in the installation or what. 

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

The area you are in is not my forte.

I think it wise to wait for someone else to chime in......someone with a better knowledge of this area than you or I .

FWIW....i Never use driver update programs.....i subscribe to the theory...'if it aint broke don't fix it'

GcnI1aH.jpg

#10 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Yes, I generally don't randomly update drivers just because a program tells me too, but I have been having some issues with performance and thought it would help.

Yeah...I'm waiting for some expertise on this. I just want people to know exactly what I can and can't do with the computer so they don't have to waste their time asking me questions about what I can and can't do.  Thanks. 

#11 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

I know I said I'd be patient, but I knew that if I could get to a restore point, I could resolve this issue. I found out how to do that in the repair console. And I am now the proud owner of a functioning mouse and keyboard! 

Here's what I did:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001256.htm

Easy peasy.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,039 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Well Done !!!!!!!

Thank you for letting us know and providing the link !

We have both learned something today.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 Dreamer2

Dreamer2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Kaityf,

I was about to chime in when I saw your last post.  Pretty cool, huh?  I had a similar problem.  Went to a restore point through the repair console.  Still, though, when I plug in a controller, my xp sp3 goes bsod and blames Hal.dll. It doesn't mind a flash drive or an external hdd.  But two different controllers - BSOD.  Glad you got yours back. I know how you feel.  I still think it's something about the usb drivers.  I'm still learning.

Gary

#14 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Yeah, it was really frustrating. The only thing I knew for certain was that I'd be okay if I could get to a restore point. I just had a hard time getting to one without a working mouse or keyboard.  I'm relieved now, not just because I got my mouse and keyboard back, but I know what to do if it happens again.

Thanks, Condobloke. I hope my post will help others that encountered the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users