Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware and/or Virus suspected

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EnthusiastDGB

EnthusiastDGB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I recenty changed my browser to google chrome and during this time I had noticed I was getting a lot of page redirects telling me some of my extentions (Java, Flash, etc.) were out of date.  This being the first time I have seen this type of scam I totally fell for it and I proceeded to try and update my extentions.  After realizing the updates were not at all making the warning messages go away I realized I fell for scam tactic that was previously unknown to me.  I have read similiar posts with regards to this issue and have therefore downloaded some of the tools required to make the logs to find out what is causing the issue.  Any help in identifying what it is exactly and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

EnthusiastDGB

Edited by Queen-Evie, 27 July 2014 - 06:16 PM.
moved from Windows 8 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 o0Patriarch0o

o0Patriarch0o

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

Hey there mate,

I'm no computer expert but my girlfriend often falls for these sorts of popups, usually when she's streaming tv shows online so i'll tell you what I use/do.

1. Firstly, get yourself a adblocker tool on your browser, it'll stop most of those sorts of popups from appearing. if you cant see them you're less likely to click em!

2. Download and install Malwarebytes anti malware, it's a great programme that'll track down most of the bad stuff something that pop up installed on your system. Here's the Link https://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. Get yourself ADWcleaner, another great programme for hunting down annoying adware etc. you can get it here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

4. A virus scan wouldn't hurt either so use your antivirus software to check for any of that stuff

5. And finally I know you've probably heard this a million times but only trust links and downloads from sites you know or are reputable. most people just tend to click yes to everything and thats where they catch you! Slow down, read the pop up carefully before clicking as most of them will use similar interfaces to legit sites IE Java. its easier said then done when you're in a rush but it'll make your life easier in the long run!

Hopefully that helps mate, If its a specfic type of adware you can usually google its name and there will be score of people effected by the same stuff and they usually post step by step methods to getting rid of it. There's also other programmes you can use to maunally delete certain types of viruses, Malware etc but make sure you get someone to help you out with that on the forums

Cheers

Patriarch

#3 EnthusiastDGB

EnthusiastDGB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

I have ran a few scans already with no luck. I've ran the COMODO Clean Endpoint scan as well as the Winzip Malware Protector. I do however have the Malwarebytes downloaded and I have not yet run that so I will give that a scan as well and see what comes up.

#4 EnthusiastDGB

EnthusiastDGB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

So far I haven't had an issue with my browser.  I also changed my browser to COMODO Ice Dragon so hopefully that helps.

#5 firespin

firespin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

So far I haven't had an issue with my browser.  I also changed my browser to COMODO Ice Dragon so hopefully that helps.

You should still be on alert for anything suspicious at least for the next two weeks. Newly created malware often is not detected by antimalware software for several days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users