Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 out of 6 Windows OS's won't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 archp2008

archp2008

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hello,

I have a complex 16 multiboot operating system (6 Windows and 10 Linux OS's) 

Two of the Windows OS's (Vista (x86) and Win 8.1) as well as all the Linux distros are booting normally. 

XP won't start to boot at all.  I just get a black screen and no hard drive light activity. 

Vista x64, Win 7(x64), and Win 8(x64) all start to boot but then restart.  I try safe mode and "last configuration that worked" butt the same thing happens.

There are 3 hard drives involved:

640gb: Win7, 8, and 8.1 

1Tb: XP, Vista(x86), Vista(x64)

320gb: all Linux and data

The Windows problems all happened at the same time today.

I am most concerned about the XP.  Chkdsk /f /r has not helped.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Arch Parsons

Edited by archp2008, 27 July 2014 - 05:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dreamer2

Dreamer2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

Cool Arch,

Only explorers get this lost.  Me, too.  I've got an old laptop that triple boots xpsp3 mce, Win7 ultimate and Fedora 20.  Everytime I plug a controller in the xp system; BSOD w/o pointing fingerd at modules or drivers. The controller works fine on the other OS's. Same hardware. I'm working on it. It's not necessary to do all this stuff. We're exploring. It's a hobby, passion, obsession.  What ever.

So,what can you recall from the timeline.  You were hackin' along and then...   What happened just before tha wheels came off?

Which XP?

New Hardware? Software?

Is your important stuff Backed up, imaged.  If not, mount from unix and grab whats near and dear.

I probably can't help but if there's quicksand ahead; you go first.

Here's an idea.  I've got this old custom box that started to run out of space and was slow. PATA sucks.  I stuck a small HDD in there to use for Virtual memory.  Then I stuck a bigger one in too.  Well, now it complains that the graphics card isn't plugged in. Is too.  But the 350 watt power supply just coudn't keep up.

Have you revisited your power requirements?

Does your power supply sound like a turbo winding up when you hit the switch?

Looks like you've got one Microsoft OS booting per disk that has them.  Xp handles booting differently. No bcdedit.  My Win 7 bootloader took over from the xp that was there first. Grub2 points to the boot loader, that, then points to xp's boot.ini.  It took me a while to get it right. I don't know what I did to the usb controller thing.  Vista never had any appeal to me.

Disable restart after failure and see if if the box is complaining about missing/incorrect boot info or files.  Graphically, document the drives and volumes from whatever disk manager you've got.  Check the numbers against the complaints.  Every once in a while, blink. Take a break. Get some sleep.

You and I both should think about Virtual machines.

Good luck you intrepid soul,

Gary

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Hi Arch,

do you by any chance run Malwarebytes Premium, there was an unfortunate update that rendered quite a few PCs unbootable recently.

The other thing I would check is startup repair for Vista/Win7/Win8, it may be able to fix whatever is ailing those.

reagrds
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

On which drive...are the boot files for the troubled installs?

Louis

#5 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thanks so much for the replies.  Actually, I can't count, I should have said 4 out of 6 won't boot rather than 3 out of 6.  The boot files for the troubled installs are on the 640gb drive (Win7, and Win8) and on the 1tb drive (the XP and the Vista (x64). The 320gb drive is the one with all Linux and is the only one that is working perfectly.  On the 640gb drive only Win 8.1 is working.  On the 1tb drive only the Vista x86 is working. The XP is the only one that is totally dead (no text or start screen, no hdd light flashing).    What happened just before tha wheels came off? I had been having trouble with the grub menu which I have been customizing with a program called Grub Customizer by Daniel Richter.  Linux updates had removed the costomization so I had to go back into the customizer and edit and rewrite to the MBR.  Also, the last time I was in to XP it ran an auto windows update.  I don't know which one it was but I assume it was one of those malicious software checks as all my regular updates were current. New Hardware? Software? No. Is your important stuff Backed up, imaged. Yes, using Acronis True Image, but I'm not comfortable with restoring the images.  I don't want to lose what I have. Does your power supply sound like a turbo winding up when you hit the switch? No. Disable restart after failure.  I'll try that.  Thanks again.  I just found a new trojan in XP.  Will retry.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Topic moved to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#7 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

How do I get to where it is moved?  The trojan was EZ-Pass email. It had the name of a community near me after the word Pass as EZ-Pass_Corner_Brook.exe  I ran the executable before this problem occurred. Don't know if it's related or not.  AVG quarantined if from Win 8.1 after the fact.

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hi,

the link to your topic remains unchanged, it was just moved to a different subforum. You're already in the right topic :)

If you want to go there manually:

From the BC overview scroll down to
→ Security
and then locate:
→ Am I infected? What do I do?

That's the forum it's in now.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

Boot Sectory Virus (fake email ez-pass_cityname.exe) I should not have run this file.  Cured by Kaspersky TDS Killer.  All OK now.  Thanks.

#10 archp2008

archp2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

Although my boot problems are fixed.  I am still concerned about all the information out there that this ez-pass executable which I ran is supposed to be used to steal my identity.  Are there other precautions I should take besides "curing" the boot sector virus which Kaspersky's TDSS Killer found and removed?  Kaspersky's utility only told me it was removing a root kit.  It did not tell me it was EZ-Pass-Corner-Brook.exe, so I can't be really sure they are one and the same.

Edited by archp2008, 29 July 2014 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users