Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Locked Out Boot Password Grotesque Irony

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tsalagi

tsalagi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hello in There All,

What is about to be described is a grotesque irony; please bear with me.

The system is WinXP Pro SP3 build 2600-install disc is WinXP Pro SP1 version 2002.

Was simply setting up network connection thru network connections/wizard; prompted to reboot for changes to take effect, rebooted, and unholy Beelzebub, the system arbitrarily and independently created a boot password screen with my username and a password from another world, unbeknownst to and not initiated by me. Good Grief! Well, attempted 3rd party utilities (0PHCrack, OFFLINE NT Password/Registry)to no avail. At password screen, it will not recognize CTRL+ALT+DEL(2).There is no hidden administrator selection. Can access DOS thru install disc repair feature, but it does not support CMD (not in 'help' list). Cannot even enter Safe Mode because the password screen is there first. Was suggested I try Ubuntu, Mint, (not familiar with, and have not yet tried them). Grotesque insult to ironic injury, nobody will help me because TSL rules expressly forbid password breach assistance (and I do understand the malevolent potential), but this IS my distressed conundrum. The system did NOT ask, advise, nor inform me of what it did until it was done. Now Bill's boondoggle is my nightmare; locked out of my own machine, clueless. What in the universe is one to do? If there is a Mighty Tech somewhere with the solution, there is nothing I would not do to express my supreme gratitude. 9 1 1 to the Tech World. Please assist.  Huge Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

does the password prompt look like this:

post-787311-0-07044300-1344102945_thumb.

If so it is a password for encryption of your registry hive.

regards
myrti
If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

You did not state what brand or model pc you have, but the Toshiba laptops did have a bad bios where out of the blue it would password lock the pc.

A "Password =" prompt may be displayed when the computer is turned on, even though no power-on password has been set. If this happens, there is no password that will satisfy the password request. The computer will be unusable until this problem is resolved. [..] The occurrence of this problem on any particular computer is unpredictable -- it may never happen, but it could happen any time that the computer is turned on. [..] Toshiba will cover the cost of this repair under warranty until Dec 31, 2010.'

As  you can see, this is kinda old but I thought I would put it out here any  way. I can not post a link to the quote because it would violate these forum rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users