Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shortcut problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

When I try to put a desktop icon on my computer, certain programs, (Gawker for one),I cannot not get an option to create shortcut, while right clicking on I.E. nor do I get the costume control icon in Chrome. I am using Win 8.1. Thanks for any help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

Can't say for w8, haven't tried it there

For W7 if you open a browser, go to the site, copy the URL, click in the lower right corner to display the desktop then right click in an open area to create a new shortcut

You can paste the URL into the blank and it should work

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

Hi,

Follow the link, this should be your answer.

regards.  :smash:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820848

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 glonner

glonner

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Open a Windows Explorer to the actual path of the program--typically, C:\program files\[software name]. Look for the .exe file. Right click, then Create Shortcut. Does that option show up for you?

#5 davissmith

davissmith

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

When I try to put a desktop icon on my computer, certain programs, (Gawker for one),I cannot not get an option to create shortcut, while right clicking on I.E. nor do I get the costume control icon in Chrome. I am using Win 8.1. Thanks for any help in advance.

On tile screen, swipe/scroll down to see the list of all programs on your pc. Type the name of software to search. Long press the one you need till you see the menu in the bottom of screen, it should have 'Open file location' option. Click on that it will bring you to the original folder of that program. In the folder, right click on the icon then choose 'Send to' > 'Desktop (Create shortcut)'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users