Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadjump Client Foundation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beaker77

Beaker77

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

On browsing my Program files, I noticed this file - Broadjump Client Foundation. I explored it and found it has a large number of dependent sub-files which all seen rather important.

Looking on the web, I found a number of warnings concerning this file, which were immediately countermanded by other articles saying it is a vital file for the Windows system - do not delete it or things will start to fail. That is called confusion in my book.

Would somebody please describe the exact purpose of this file and perhaps say whether it is a valid file or a threat ?

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

That's not a file name actually, it's a program name.  From my research, it seems to be installed with software from a number of ISP's including Comcast.  From what I've read, some find it useful, but most people think it's not necessary even if it's not a bad program.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 Beaker77

Beaker77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

That's not a file name actually, it's a program name.  From my research, it seems to be installed with software from a number of ISP's including Comcast.  From what I've read, some find it useful, but most people think it's not necessary even if it's not a bad program.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

How can I just disable it with Chrome ? Then if things go bump in the night, it can be enabled and no harm done.

I cannot find any trace of this program being active. Cannot find the name listed anywhere, BJCFD or CFD.exe. I have looked everywhere - MSCONFIG, Task Manager, Process Explorer, CCleaner, WinPatrol, Add/Remove, Revo Uninstaller, even looked at Chrome plugins and extensions, but not a trace. Looks dead. I could  delete it and send it to the Recycle Bin, see what happens over say a month, then either restore it or delete it.

I did click CFD.exe when exploring the program files for BJCFD and my FW sent up an alert - Allow/Block - I blocked it. So presumably IF CFD.exe or BJCFD tries to run, my FW will now block it.

PS - That looks like a tomato next to your name, not an Orange Blossom.

Edited by Beaker77, 27 July 2014 - 04:10 PM.

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hello Beaker77,

Programs are something you uninstall not delete.  Generally, that is done through Add/Remove.  In this case, you would look for the program name which should have Broadjump Client in it.

I've asked other folks to take a look at this topic and see if they can provide more insight than I can.

Incidentally, that's a cherry after my name.  I love cherries.  Yummy :)

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users