Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unexplainable BSOD - Trying to find the source of it

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

First things first. The computer is a custom built by my friend who is rather tech-savvy. It's trustworthy and still works after 1 year. (so no warranty..) I think I could afford some spare parts but if it involves replacing everything i am screwed.

Anyway.. SINCE getting this PC I have been having a rather strange re-occuring issue. Random BSOD that are always indetified as being caused by the the ntokrnl.exe or whatever. Always it, and no other information.

I checked using MemTest and RAM passed fine, I have no idea what else stress testing programs i should use.

My specs are as follows

GPU : GeFroce GTX 660 Ti (latest drivers)

CPU : AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.3Ghz)

Memory : 800 GB Ram (7.98 GB usable)

Operation System : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

System appears to be clean (did a scan recently, used ReAnimator)

Quite frankly, there isn't any problem (although I do admit booting time is rather slow but I think it's normal.....I guess?)

Anyway. BSoD Never appears to occur in non-extensive time. I rarely if ever a recall a time when my PC crashed randomly.

The tempretures usually don't exceed 70C+ (CPU that is)

In fact. the funny thing is... only when i play Sims 3 for extensive amount of time does I experience a BSoD.. now, I wuold just pin point that game as being the unstable fault, but the thing is, sometimes, Civilization 5 (especially when BNW came out) also caused this. But as far asi Know both of these games are rathe runoptimized properly.

However, just today I was downloading and instlailng SIms 3 (wanted to check a house or soemthing) and I experienced a BsoD while it attempted to install the game. Which really freaked me out.

Few days ago I also had my system hang up when playing The sims 2 (pre-installed, not the ultimate edition version) which never happened before.

I really can't figure this thing out and i have no close friends that can help me (I don't wanna bother my friend who got me this game)

So ask away and I will appreciate any insightful stuff.

--------

Somewhere it suggested checking the Event Viewer and it pin pointed this as an error

"A fatal hardware error has occured.

Component : AMD Northbridge

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: HyperTransport Watchdog Timeout Error

Processor ID: 0

Edited by JohnBigOz, 27 July 2014 - 02:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Hi,

CPU heat isn't the only place that heat can cause problems. You might want to get one of the monitors and see if anything shows up

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I am under the impression that it is indeed my PC.

When at load, my AMD FX 6100 Six-Core Processor reaches up to 70 C and from Tom Hardware those are rather exreme temperatures.

#5 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 5.02

This program checks for drivers which have been crashing your computer. If your computer has displayed a blue screen of death, suddenly rebooted or shut down then this program will help you find the root cause and possibly a solution.

Whenever a computer suddenly reboots without displaying any notice or blue screen of death, the first thing that is often thought about is a hardware failure. In reality, on Windows most crashes are caused by malfunctioning device drivers and kernel modules. In case of a kernel error, many computers do not show a blue screen unless they are configured for this. Instead these systems suddenly reboot without any notice.

This program will analyze your crash dumps with the single click of a button. It will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. It will report a conclusion which offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation while the analysis report will display internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

computer name: BIGOZ-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M5A78L-M/USB3
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
6 logical processors, active mask: 63
RAM: 8571183104 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 7/28/2014 5:36:24 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072814-20124-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B2AEC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80076798F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/27/2014 8:52:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072714-21044-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007DE1038, 0x0, 0x0)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 7/27/2014 6:38:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072714-28345-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007D5A788, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sun 7/27/2014 4:06:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\072714-24055-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800767D8F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sat 6/21/2014 11:31:25 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062114-27190-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007E038F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 6/18/2014 1:41:28 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061814-21138-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007D648F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Mon 3/31/2014 6:34:14 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\033114-22635-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007C8E8F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Mon 3/31/2014 2:39:36 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\033114-25178-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80076808F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sat 1/11/2014 7:05:38 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011114-34772-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80076B08F8, 0x0, 0x0)

On Sat 12/28/2013 3:06:39 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122813-28813-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007CEC8F8, 0x0, 0x0)

Conclusion

23 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report.
Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

Question: how long did you run memtest86? It should be run for a minimum of 3 passes but preferably overnight. 3 passes with 8gb of ram will likely take around 3 hours. Unfortunately the 0x124 bug checks are fairly generic. It could be hardware related or driver related. Sometimes heat can cause the problem. Speccy will give me a good idea of temps, and possible hardware problems.

Please download and run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by zingo156, 28 July 2014 - 03:31 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Also just as a heads up, the max temp for the cpu is 70C: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-6100.html

It might be a good idea to take the computer apart and dust it out completely, especially concentrate on the video card and cpu as well as the power supply and fans... You can use canned air or an air compressor with a rubber air nozzle. WARNING: if you use an air compressor: use no more than 40psi and be very careful not to bump/touch any components. Also be very carefull not to over speed fans they can shatter. Use quick short bursts of air rather than non stop flow near fans.

You can also use a vacuum cleaner in reverse mode or "blower" mode if it has the option, again be careful not to bump anything. Quite frequently I use my shop vac for dusting. I live in a dusty environment and dust mine out no less than every 4 months.

While you have the case open inspect the mainboard for blown or bulging capacitors examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=QbbWU9fSJdGRyAT5kYKIDg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=766

Edited by zingo156, 28 July 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#8 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Something that is bothering me is exactly how hot my CPU gets, the SpeedFan reports a reading 70C which would suggest TOO HOT

But CPUID, when at dle, is around 28C when Speedfan says about 38-42C. :/

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

I edited the dusting out instructions so please read them again before dusting out your computer.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Something that is bothering me is exactly how hot my CPU gets, the SpeedFan reports a reading 70C which would suggest TOO HOT

But CPUID, when at dle, is around 28C when Speedfan says about 38-42C. :/

I have always used HWmonitor because it keeps track of min and max temps as well as average. You can get that here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

In my experience, not all temperature software is accurate for all hardware. If there was a specific software that came with your motherboard, generally those are accurate.

#11 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Also, Speccy : http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kotINIKKMs5rsolQoXWu8B2

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:00 PM

I will be going over the speccy report but it may be about an hour before I get back to this thread. For now go through the dusting procedures and check for bad capacitors.

#13 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

I did some tests with my dad (mostly playing Sims 3 and waiting for the game to crash)

My dad pulled out my pc from the little nook it stands on and exposed the inside (took off the side cover), we also had the window open and it is evening so it is cold and it  infact did not crash and if I recall most readings were at 50-65C. but it didn't seem like anything was to go wrong.

After a while I suggested and we put the pc back into it's nook and kind of covered the side (we didn't screw it in just put the cover adjacent) and after a while the game eventually did cause a BSoD.

My dad said there was quite a bit of dust and that he's going to clean it up (I am clumsy and no way shoul i ever be allowed to do anything like that xD).

One thing we noticed is that there are two fans on the "up" side of the PC, one inactive and the other one my dad noticed was not running as fast as it could be and realized taht the fun was actually blowing hot air inside the computer instead out so he will pretty much figure something out tomorrow.

LIkelyhood, it is overheating problem. Which, god i Hope so, and I think I always knew but was always.

I've taken two additional Speccy's at various points

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/F3ydWzAhEPHpC1ZEjzokqEf That one was taken when it was exposed and outside it's nook (if I recall)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nDoSVB8SABecBQo2kTwbCCk That one was taken when it was back in it's nook (if I recall)

Edited by JohnBigOz, 28 July 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Those speccy reports actually help quite a bit and I do agree this looks like a possible overheating issue. Both your cpu and mainboard are running hot. The cpu is running above the max recommended temperature. It is important to dust out all of the components as mentioned above.

As a side note, I never recommend running computers in small spaces due to the build up of heat. If you can vent the space with a fan it might be ok.

#15 JohnBigOz

JohnBigOz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Thanks so much, I always felt it was the over-heating but everytime I questioned it people said that "70c is ok" which kind of made me doubt it.

Hopefully this is the end of this and I will FINALLY be able to keep it going until one of the compontents fails (it's inevitiable with my darn luck)

Thanks zingo you were actually very helpful and actually showed a decent/great program to monitor temperatures.

My dad will likely clean the pc out tomorrow and figure out how to increase ventilation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users