Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How is Yahoo search opening up?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I changed chrome to "Open where I left off", and when I close all tabs individually, then reopen chrome, it starts up at Yahoo.

This is very strange.

I have practically nothing on my whole computer that has to do with yahoo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Try changing the home page, disable all active extensions and change the home page: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/U-DbwI6bW1g

#3 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

Sorry it doesn't work...

I have changed my homepage from nothing to just bing.com.

But anyhow... I'm just concerned if it's a virus. if not, I don't really mind.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Did you check Settings>Start up>Open a specific page>Set pages  -- is Yahoo search set there?

It most likely isn't a virus, so yes, there's no need to worry.

#5 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hmm

I checked task manager

And this new startup program spigot search protection is there in my %appdata%

Looks like malware, ish, obviously hijacked my browser. Might it be doing anything else more dangerous?

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

You can try using Revo Uninstaller (Free Version) to totally remove Google Chrome & all of it's components. There is also a Portable version you can save to a Flash drive to use on any computer. Run the Advanced method, the one on the bottom, to get it all. 

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Reboot & run CCleaner to dump the Recycle Bin & any other leftovers. Then download & install Google Chrome fresh, from here. 

https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chrome/browser/?platform=win

And see what you come up with. If there's still issues, there's a high probability you're infected & you topic would need to be moved to the "Am I Infected" section of the forum. 

BTW, what brand(s) of security are you running & how often are you running Full scans? It's good to have a current version, up to date, active AV software & an active AM (anti-malware) software such as Malwarebytes Premium. There are still Lifetime licenses on the Newegg site, sign up for promos for discounts. These Lifetime licenses won't last long, as MBAM has shifted to yearly subscriptions (3PC/1Year). 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

I'm not sure all that is necessary. In fact, it's probably a bit of overkill.

Spigot Search Protection is designed to check for your default search engine and restore it to Yahoo if you had agreed to set it there in the first place and some other application tries to change it from Yahoo. It is part of the Spigot toolbar, which tends to come bundled with 3rd party software, usually µTorrent.

If you didn't install it, remove it, which usually entails removing the Spigot Toolbar itself. http://www.spigot.com/about/contact-us/uninstall-search-protection-spigot/

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:42 AM

I'm not sure all that is necessary. In fact, it's probably a bit of overkill.

Spigot Search Protection is designed to check for your default search engine and restore it to Yahoo if you had agreed to set it there in the first place and some other application tries to change it from Yahoo. It is part of the Spigot toolbar, which tends to come bundled with 3rd party software, usually µTorrent.

If you didn't install it, remove it, which usually entails removing the Spigot Toolbar itself. http://www.spigot.com/about/contact-us/uninstall-search-protection-spigot/

Yes, I see now what you're talking about. That was the first time of hearing of that particular "Search Protection" software. And yes, it ships with what you state. 

http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/Search-Protection-63083-program.aspx

It's not good security practice to have uTorrent or any Torrent software installed on the OS. At best, spyware is planted onto the computer from the start. Then when the uTorrent client is fired up, it's on. Being a P2P (computer to computer) client, it takes only one infected computer to spread malware to hundreds of users. 

As long as this type of software is installed, there is an elevated risk for malware exposure. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

Good point about torrents. Using them is like leaving the front door to your house open, and then inviting people to just come in at random and look around, even when you aren't there.

And once the toolbar is removed, Cat's advice about running a full AV scan is warranted. You might want to try SuperAntiSpyware as well, especially if you're not sure what software program you installed is responsible for adding the toolbar.

#10 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:40 PM

: O

Thanks guys.

So I do have utorrent, should I uninstall it or something?

But at the least, how can I keep my browser from, and figure out why it opens up to spigot-yahoo? I uninstalled spigot from %appdata%, but... still opens there.

I'll get MBAM and run an AV, though.

I'll get MBAM and run an AV, though.

Edited by JimmyKarter, 29 July 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Did you follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier? You should first try to uninstall it from Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program.

I would advise uninstalling µTorrent as well, as that is what installed the spigot toolbar to begin with.

If that doesn't work, download SuperAntiSpyware, update the signature files, and run a full scan. http://www.superantispyware.com/

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:59 PM

Just to add also in addition to system scanning tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Tekken

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:32 PM

Just to add also in addition to system scanning tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

+1! :thumbup2:

I run this as monthly maintenance & AdwCleaner has never left a computer unbootable on me. 

However, I always create restore point & backup as a precaution, especially if I'm running it on a computer that's not mine. On one occasion, nearly 1GB of pure junk was found & removed. If I didn't have the backup, wouldn't have ran it. But it rebooted fine & along with it, a lot of lost speed was regained. 

Infections does more than hog space, these are computer cripplers. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users