Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My dad complains that my PC is making the house hot! :(

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Roblox

Roblox

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

So my mean dad claims my PC is causing the house to warm up. I try to play games on this PC. The PC is probably old as it is real slow at playing games. My dad always wants me to turn the PC off but why bother when im playing my games.

Would a new PC made for gaming be more energy efficient and cooler than my current one?

If so how could i convince my dad to buy me one?

Would it make the electricity bill cheaper?

Would it make the house cooler?

The specs for my current one:

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 62 °C
Brisbane 65nm Technology

RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 328MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
ASUSTek Computer INC. Acacia (Socket AM2 ) 40 °C

Graphics
X19 (1280x1024@60Hz)
ATI Radeon HD 2350 (MSI) 54 °C

Storage
298GB Hitachi HDT725032VLA SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 54 °C

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2014 - 01:10 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

No doubt, a newer unit would be more efficient and run cooler than some older unit runnig flat out to run games.  Yes, those older units were somewhat of a space heater but proper placement and keeping vents and filter clean should keep temps in a more comfortable range.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

If anything a gaming computer would probably be hotter because it has more beefed up components.  I doubt if what you've got would heat the house more than 2 or 3 100 watt light bulbs.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

@mjd I had bought some compressed air and gave it a good dust out! It is still warm now.

When i bought this thing second hand around December  it wasn't that warm it was quite cool. Now it is so much warmer like 2x warmer.

#5 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Anymore solutions?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:21 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Roblox

Roblox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

Here is the speccy stuff:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/5nqYBSFhqu1KXX1Umze2ds1

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Just about all of the units I pick up at garage and estate sales get a once over.  Mostly they're used for spare parts but all MOBO's get their CPU, heatsink and fan removed.  After around two years of normal usage, the thermal paste gets dried and caked.  If the unit gets an abnormal heat cycle or prolonged elevate temperature, the paste will break down sooner.  The paste is intended to act in conducting heat from the CPU chip to the heatsink.  Most fans are run off the MOBO  and are controlled    according to temps measured.  Too many units get scraped, dumped or donated at E-waste fund raisers just need a good dusting, refresh the thermal paste and return to schools and non-profit operations.  Dusting is good but I suspect the paste has crusted up.  Removing each plugin card(sound, video, memory) insure each slot is clean and the card board edges are clean.  The fan in the PSU, the whole PSU needs to get cleaned but I don't recommend anyone but a  skilled tech to open the power supply case.

Edited by mjd420nova, 27 July 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

The PSU contains large capacitors which will hold a line voltage charge for a very long time.  There is enough voltage there to injure you.  Don't even open it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

That computer generates far less heat than my current rig at full load. Modern gaming rigs at the enthusiast levels generate a lot of heat, there is no way around that. The most important question IMO is what games do you play? Build the hardware to suit your needs. Newer hardware is more efficient for the same level performance as previous machines. If you play modern games and want maximum performance heat will always be an issue. I have my rig in a bedroom sized space and it heats up the room quickly. Air conditioning can not keep up (central air). Before when I ran 2 video cards it was even worse.

Total wattage consumed = total heat output. A computer that draws 750watts at full load will generate nearly the same heat a 750watt space heater would. If heat is the concern, build the most power efficient computer you can that will run the games you play.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

Are you using a CRT or LCD monitor?  A CRT monitor could also be a source of heat.  Moving to an LCD monitor will save you room and money spent on electricty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users