Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I cannot start my computer (Windows Vista)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 snegurochka

snegurochka

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

I have recently updated my Kaspersky Virus scanner but every time I tried to run a complete scan the program froze towards the end.

I remembered that I had the same problem last time I updated Kaspersky and was told then that I had to make sure Java was up to date. I tried to delete the old version before downloading the new but I was unable to uninstall Java. I downloaded the new version last night thinking I will be able to delete the old version once everything is normal but apparently I was wrong.

I am not 100% sure if downloading Java caused my problems but my computer froze when I shut it down last night and Windows cannot be started when I tried it today.

It said I should run it in safe mode and it would try to repair any damage but that didn't work. It says it was unable to repair the damage :(

Does this mean the computer is broken? I'm afraid to lose my data. Does anyone have an idea what happened and how/whether it can be fixed?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Boot into Safe Mode since this appears to work, and do a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Thank you for your reply.

It now only gives me the choice between using start help (sorry everything is in German and this is my translation) and booting it normally. The latter doesn't work and takes me back to the same screen while the former doesn't find a solution to the problem.

Afterward I can only shut down the computer or choose the system restore option. If I do that it asks me to choose a keyboard layout.

Shall I go ahead with this? How do I choose the restore point? I'm sorry if that is a stupid question but I'm useless with computers. I just don't want to lose my data.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/turn-back-time-on-your-pc-undo-system-changes-with-system-restore

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Thank you for the helpful article.

Unfortunately it didn't find any restore points. It says I can't create a restore point because the computer is running in safe mode. Is there another way to create a restore point?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Since you can boot into the Advanced Boot Options (this is where Safe Mode is located) I would suggest trying the Last Known Good Configuration.

Edit:  Let's see what we can do about getting this computer to boot normally.  After that we can explain how to create a restore point.

Edited by dc3, 27 July 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#7 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

I don't have this option anymore after I ran the start repair tool.

Now it asks me to choose a tool to restore the system. I tried system repair but that didn't work. There is also "system repair", "complete Windows restore", "Windows save diagnosis tool" and "command prompt".

I can also shut the computer down or restart it.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

#9 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

It's a Sony Vaio. The model is PCG-3F1M.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

I had thought that you might be able to use the system recovery partition to restore the operating system to the state it came out of the box.  Unfortunately you need to be able to boot the computer to do this.

I don't suppose you have a installation disc for this version of Vista?

#11 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I don't think there is a disk. Vista was already on the laptop when I got it.

#12 snegurochka

snegurochka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Is there any other way to fix the problem? I don't know what I did wrong and whether Java is the problem.

Can the data be saved?

#13 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

download a copy of ubuntu or linux lite and boot off this os to access the hdd, to copy off your important data to a external hdd or usb drive

then you can continue to get the system up and running..

https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35865/p/48903%2C49902%2C53855%2C53907/c/65%2C67/kw/Sony%20Vaio%20The%20model%20is%20PCG3F1M

this is the info to create recovery disk.   .So you will need a copy of vista to access the recovery mode feature on the hdd

some answers  https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31947/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA2ODc2NDk4L3NpZC9ydHpsWUotbA%3D%3D

Edited by johnebadbak, 01 August 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#14 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

site to download vista genuine copy as long as you have key

http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/57-windows-vista-direct-download-links

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users