Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quick question about flash drives

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

in a couple of days time i'm going to need to write some HUGE (5 or 6 Gb each) files to a usb drive. it's a san disk cruzer edge i can't remember which file system it uses. will it need some kind of formatting to accept such huge files, i heard something about certain drive types not being able to cope with individual files above 4Gb. if it does can someone just quickly explain what to do? will this formatting affect others drives i plug into my usb port in future?

thanks

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Most flash drives are formatted FAT32, and I believe 4 GB is the largest file size you can have with that.  I've never formatted a flash drive but formatting them NTFS should get you around that limit.  I'd start by formatting a relatively inexpensive flash drive to be sure it'll work.  You can get 8 GB ones for $5 and 16 GB ones for around $12.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

Maximum file size with FAT32 is 4GB. To get around that problem, simply format it using NTFS instead.

PS - Doing this will not affect any other drives you plug into your usb port in future.

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

thanks. the format to ntfs method works. i have managed to write those huge files successfully to usb.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users