Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MBAM bad update quarantines system files...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:57 AM

Several users reported problems on this thread: Update v2014.07.26.09 Entire System32 Quarantined?

Forum mod advises users to stop scanning immediately

MBAM CEO acknowledges there's a problem

Forum Admin locks thread(s) critical of MBAM's default settings

lock.png

Appears to have affected "only" Pro users.

Couple more users reporting hosed system @ SevenForums:

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/339369-cannot-boot-windows-after-using-malwarebytes.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/339358-malware-scan-turns-into-bad-situation.html

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 July 2014 - 06:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

For people wondering, the update has been removed from malwarebytes' servers and they are looking into what caused the problem. I suggest updating your definitions to the latest if people have not already. The update which caused this was v2014.07.26.09.

Certainly bad for the Malwarebytes team...

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 27 July 2014 - 06:27 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

@ Toffee: I'm glad you edited your post... yes, the offending update has been removed but the issue has not been "fixed" for those whose computers were bricked...

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/153687-computer-crushed-after-the-update/?p=858570

Please try to hold tight. I'm consulting with other members on the best course of action. Do you have the Windows install DVD ?

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 July 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Yes, hence why I edited, my wording was off. I was referring to update being removed, and I know what the majority of computers which were affected have still not been fixed. The botched update deleted certain registry keys and the majority of files (if not all) in System32.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 27 July 2014 - 06:55 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

~Currently in my last year of school, so replies might be more delayed~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

While I realize that these things (botched updates) happen to a lot (if not all) AV/Malware vendors from time to time, this is the second time in 15 months it's occured @MBAM  ph34r.png

So what’s my promise to you? Working day and night, we are commissioning several new resources to stop this from happening again. We are building more redundancy to check our researchers’ work and improving our peer review....

:blink:

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 July 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Yes, all scanning tools are susceptible to glitches, bugs, database issues and false positive detections from time to time which may remove critical system files resulting in unbootable computers or machines stuck in an endless reboot loop. Even major anti-virus vendors are not immune to such issues.In most cases when these issues occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected. In fact, most have dedicated subforums for reporting/dealing with such issues.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 thebes

thebes

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

My computer has not been disabled but Malwarebytes won't work now. Keeps closing after it says windows is looking for a solution. Malwarebytes support gave up on me. It worked fine for years till the new version. Yet on my wife's laptop no problem....

I used http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx which did find something in java. But even after reinstalling java, malwarebytes still does not work. Might be a good thing now that I'm reading this...

Edited by thebes, 28 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I am very surprised to hear Malwarebytes support gave up...that's the first time I every heard of that.

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

..."Malwarebytes support gave up on me."...

Hello thebes:

The above statement does not seem to support the facts, and can be easily misinterpreted by others who read your post here. Your initial post was responded to, and welcomed, within three (3) minutes despite being within another member's active thread. When you failed to respond to a forum helper's request to begin your own troubleshooting topic, a Malwarebytes staffer and coincidently the forum's manager, split your post off to create the topic you did not.

Additionally (52 minutes later) the forum manager requested 3 diagnostic logs that you have yet to post.

Your Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help topic is still >>HERE<< and despite what you have published in this forum, we are still willing and eager to help you with your MBAM issue.

FYI: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has not in the past, nor does it now, rely in even the remotest fashion on Oracle's Java product.

Also, please complete your Malwarebytes' forum membership registration process, as sent to you in email, on our forum to elevate your membership status from "Unused Accounts" to "Members".

Thank you,

1PW
Malwarebytes Volunteer Forum Helper

Edited by 1PW, 29 July 2014 - 03:01 AM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

thebes...You need to follow 1PW's instructions, complete the registration process and provide the requested diagnostic logs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users