Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Problems

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

How can I completely uninstall Windows Media Center? I do not need it. And I am afraid it may be uses resources or might cause problems.

I couldn't manage to uninstall it. To deactivate it didn't work. And to uninstall it, also.

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2014 - 04:49 PM.
Edited topic title to reflect focus - Hamluis.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

Did  you try this ?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15530/uninstall-disable-or-remove-windows-7-media-center/

#3 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Thank you, Willy22,

Yes, I did try, but I could not disable it here: "Scroll down to Media Features and expand the folder. Then Uncheck Windows Media Center…"

And so I could not uninstall it.

Thanks again.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

Did you also disable "Windows Media Player" ?

#5 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:01 AM

Yes, I did disabled all of that items there. I do not use "Windows Media Player".

The state of beginning to try: http://i.imgur.com/ksyLUn9.png

The unchecked items: http://i.imgur.com/S0mvOZo.png

The error message: http://i.imgur.com/Pt1mBlt.png

The result (nothing changes): http://i.imgur.com/0MWujKD.png

Edited by Dirkk, 27 July 2014 - 06:50 AM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

- Are you able to manually enable/disable the Services that are related to MEDIA Center and Search ?

- Run "Tweaking's Windows Repair". It's able to reset permissions for a whole range of things. (files, Services). Perhaps after running the program you can change those settings.

#7 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

- Are you able to manually enable/disable the Services that are related to MEDIA Center and Search ?

Any idea, do not know how to do it.

- Run "Tweaking's Windows Repair". It's able to reset permissions for a whole range of things. (files, Services). Perhaps after running the program you can change those settings.

I am always a bit anxious about using such programs, I guess, often they can destroy more than help, the last time I tried to use "Tweaking's Windows Repair" it doesn't help at all.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

I suggest you leave it alone. It's a possibility that if you try to remove what Microsoft considers essential Windows components, it could affect your PC negatively. Trying to get rid of it is not worth the trouble and your assumption that it's taking up needed space is inaccurate. 

#9 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

OK frankp316, thank you.

and your assumption that it's taking up needed space is inaccurate

Not the space, but may be there are some processes running all the time effecting a slow down of the sytem or so, that was my thought.

I suggest you leave it alone. It's a possibility that if you try to remove what Microsoft considers essential Windows components, it could affect your PC negatively.

But yes, that is a good thought...well...OK, so I better will leave it like it is.

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

In normal circumstances the user should be able to enable/disable these features. But something is blocking that. That's precisely why you should run "Windows Repair" !!!!!!!!!

#11 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Yes, I understand, but are you really sure Windows Repair will not break anything, will not cause any damage?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

Windows Repair is a safe program and will mend A LOT OF things in Windows but it simply can't repair everything because Windows is VERY complicated system.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Completely removing all of Windows Media Player will neutralize several malware vectors as well as freeing up your bandwidth, RAM and processor power.

I always do this to every Windows machine I own, it is safe to do. It is not comparable to completely removing Internet Explorer.

I replace it with VLC Player. Still the best.

TsVk!

#14 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Alright, I will try it again: this is the right one, I assume: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

The downloaded file: tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio_setup.exe

Oh, I had remembered it were a portable version, but it isn't. So I really have to install it: http://i.imgur.com/r3A3axE.png?

And check all of the options available?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

Completely removing all of Windows Media Player will neutralize several malware vectors as well as freeing up your bandwidth, RAM and processor power.

I always do this to every Windows machine I own, it is safe to do. It is not comparable to completely removing Internet Explorer.

I replace it with VLC Player. Still the best.

TsVk!

But you're an advanced user. This guy doesn't know what he's doing. It's way too risky. What if he turns his PC into a brick? Are you gonna fix it? As an average user, I would leave it alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users