Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

G-sense error rate raw value increasing.

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

I have a 2 month old laptop, and I normally put it on the table, never had to move it around, so I don't know why the G-sense error rate would increase by 1 every 4 to 8 days?

Just today, the G-sense error rate was at 39 this morning, and the entire day, the laptop didn't move, and was in the same location, but tonight, it went from 39 to 3A.  Is this a cause for concern?

How sensitive must the shock or vibration must be to make the S.M.A.R.T G-sense error rate raw value to go up?  As I said before, the computer is on a table, and I am not moving it.  The only time i do move it is when the computer is either hibernating or shut down.  Could me slamming the lid closed be a factor?  How about me typing?  It just doesn't make any sense to me, and it seems to be scary that my new laptop, well 2 month old laptop now, has the G-sense error rate increasing by 1 every week.

If a laptop is left on, is there any subtle vibrations in the hardware that may affect the G-sense error rate values?

Could the vibration from the speakers also affect the G-sense error rate, because it thinks the vibrations is like shaking the laptop, thus affecting the G-sense error rate values?

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 12:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

Speakers or leaving the computer on would not cause a G-sense increase. My guess would be that the head mechanism of the drive is failing. I would remove any important data off the drive at once and get a new computer or drive under warranty. Contact the manufacturer and explain the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#3 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Are there any other reasons?  As I said before, this is a 2 month old laptop, and I believe I haven't used it alot.  It is also brand new out of the sealed box.

I use crystaldiskinfo to take a look at my s.m.a.r.t attributes, and here is a screenshot of all the smart attributes.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/zh68iu675edy55i/crystaldiskscreenshot.png

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

The screenshot is too small. I can't see it. 3a hex = 56 so that is a drastic increase.  A drive can fail in a short time. Just a matter of luck of the draw. Unusual but it does happen. You can use the freeware Gsmartcontrol and see if the Gsense is the same. Again, I would advise you to copy off any important data on the drive.

#5 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

I edited the post to show a link to a file sharing stie, where I uploaded my image there.

Both Speccy and CrystalDiskInfo has the same G-sense error rate raw value.

The raw value should be in hexadecimal form, so 3A = 58.  Yesterday morning, it was at 39, which equates to 57.  If memory serves me correctly, it was around 5 to 8 days before that where it says 38, which equates to 56.

So are you really sure that something is wrong?

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Sorry, for some reason I thought the 36 was in decimal form. Yes, I would say something is wrong. What is the threshold value shown on the Gsense attribute? I still think an increasing G-sense number is bad. Once the Gsense attribute passes the threshold, the drive will be marked bad.

Instead of Speccy or CrystalDiskInfo I would run a full diagnostic on the drive. Download Seagate Tools for Windows and run a full diagnostic on the drive.

User Guide

Edit: I looked at the screenshot of CrystalDiskInfo and it seems there is no threshold for Gsense. I would still contact the manufacturer of the computer and report the increase of the Gsense SMART attribute. They may ask you to return the drive. Gsense for a laptop that is not moved or moved and turned off should be near zero. Fortunately your drive has no Reallocated Sectors or a Pending Sector Count which is good. The drive may be fine but I do not like the fact the count goes up, especially if the computer is not moved. The Gsense measures the shock on the drive so the only thing I can think of, especially if the computer is not moved, is something internal in the drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#7 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

which test should I perform?

#8 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

I performed the smart check and short drive self test.  Both were pass.

#9 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Short generic test was a pass.

Would a failing head mechanism cause other smart attributes to go up, like the bad sector count, or the read error rate, or the write error rate?

So far, the reallocated sectors count, current pending sector count, and the uncorrected sector count, the read error rate, write error rate, seek error rate are all at 0, and has been at 0 ever since I bought this laptop, which was 2 months ago.

I also forgot to mention the normalized value is 42, worst is 42, and the threshold is 0 for the G-sense error rate.

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

If your Reallocated Sector count and Pending Sector Count is zero, I would not worry too much. But, if you see the Gsense Attribute rapidly increasing, then there is a problem internally with the drive. It seems your Gsense attribute is already over the normalized value but SMART attributes can vary between hard drive manufaturers. I am still trying to wrap my head around it.

But the two most important things to watch are Reallocated Sector Count and Pending Sector Count.

https://kb.acronis.com/content/9181

Although this parameter is not considered critical by the most hardware vendors, degradation of this parameter may indicate electromechanical problems of the disk. Regular backup is recommended. If no other (critical) parameters report a problem, hardware replacement is recommended on mission critical systems only.

#11 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:35 PM

I don't get it, if my normalized value is 42, worst is 42, and threshold is 0, then what do you mean my G-sense error rate is over the normalized value?

Looking at the power on hours, the normalized value is 100, the worst is 100, threshold is 0, and the real value is 655, so does that mean I have to replace my drive because my power on hours is over 100?

From what I read, the lower the normalized value for G-sense error rate, or any smart attribute, the worse it is.  For some attributes, you want a high raw or real value, while for some others, you want a lower raw or real value.  In the case of the G-sense error rate, you want a lower value, and I think it is normal for the G-sense error rate to increase, but I don't know if the rate of increasing by 1 raw value a week is a cause for concern or not.

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

I found this page usefull for information on smart values.

Column 6 is THRESH, the manufacturer determined lowest value that WORST should be allowed to fall to, before reporting it as a FAILED quantity. Some are counters, some are informational such as temperature or hours used.

So no, power on hours will not cause a failure.

You are correct in that a lower Gsense attribute is better. Here is my thought on the Gsense issue. Maybe the shock sensor of the drive is very sensitive and is reporting a Gsense at the slightest movement. Myself, I would keep an eye on it especially if you do not move your computer and it still goes up. Watch for a sudden increase because if it is a internal fault, it will increase rapidly before failure. As it stands right now, one a week does not look like a concern because your Reallocated Sector and Pending Sector count is zero which is very good. But keep an eye on those also. From just reading today, a person had a Gsense sector count of 288 and the drive was still listed as good. So, if your count increases at one a week you should be okay unless there is a spike in the rate. I still think 58 is kind of high for a brand new laptop. But, if your rate is one a week, that means there may have been a shock to the drive before you got the computer. The value for the drive is 42 so I take that to mean a brand new drive having a count of 42 is normal.

#13 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have another laptop which is 5 years old, and the G-sense error rate was 185 real value B9 raw value.  The hard drive is still going but is dying, or was it crippled, I don't know, but all I know is that the drive is bad, and I don't plan to replace that one.  If this newer laptop has a bad hard drive, then it would be very devastating to me, knowing that any hard drive will fail.

So do you have any estimates on when a hard drive will fail in which that hard drive has the G-sense error rate attribute real value increase by 1 a week, and no other attribute real value changes?

Could the G-sense error rate be affected if I nudge my laptop a bit?  My laptop is on a plastic mat on top of a glass table, and the friction between the plastic mat and glass table is very low, so it slides a lot.

Edited by signofzeta, 27 July 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

I can't say when a drive will fail becaue of a Gsense raw value. In fact some drives can fail before a SMART warning is given.

There are many computer professionals with a very low opinion of SMART reporting, and they generally discount SMART reports, partly because of all the inconsistency, but also because many drives fail with no SMART warnings at all.

Does the drive on the other comptuer show a large Reallocated Sector Count or Pending Sector count?

I have read where a drive manufacturer will refuse to RMA a drive if their diagnostic software shows a good drive but you can always contact the computer manufacturer and express your concern of the Gsense value and see what they say.

Depending on how sensitive the hard drive sensor is, it's very possible a slight nudge will cause an increase in the Gsense attribute. I don't think you need to worry unless the rate itself increases beyond once a week. But, I would do a backup of your drive onto an external drive. It's good to do this even if you think the drive is not failing. Doing a disk image with Macrium Free is a good way of protecting yourself. It lets you create a bootable WinPE disk that will let you recover the disk image in case the drive does not boot to OS corruption or the drive fails.

#15 signofzeta

signofzeta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

On my older laptop, which is still working by the way, the reallocated sector count is 292 real value and the pending sector count is 142 real value.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users