Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easily create desktop shortcuts for all installed programs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 delijoe

delijoe

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

Hi

This might be a strange request but what I want to do is quickly and easily create desktop shortcuts for all my installed programs in windows 8 without going into file explorer and searching one by one for each installed program and creating shortcuts individually. You can bring up all apps in metro but you cant create a desktop shortcut from there.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

If the programs are listed in your Start Menu you can drag from there and drop it on your desktop.

You can also right click the program name on the Start Menu and choose Send to Desktop.

That's the best I can offer since I don't know of any programs that will do what you want. Maybe someone else will.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 July 2014 - 03:29 PM.

#3 delijoe

delijoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

That doesn't work in windows 8. You can't make a desktop shortcut from the metro interface

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2820848

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:48 PM

That doesn't work in windows 8. You can't make a desktop shortcut from the metro interface

That's good to know. I wasn't sure if you were doing it from the metro interface.

I also did not take into account that if you have Windows 8 there is no start menu unless you install a 3rd party start menu.

Time for me to recharge the brain cells.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users