Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Parted Magic : Files gets disappeared until you remount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ssivada

ssivada

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

I have a 500 GB external HD. One fine day, it became RAW (it had started showing signs of wearing, my bad - I didn't backup my files then). 
I happen to read a similar issue in this forum (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481048/external-drive-showing-raw-data-after-removal-without-ejecting/) and ended up buying Parted Magic.

>> I successfully booted into it and mounted my bad HD.
>> I was able to see all my files after mounting and was extremely happy.
>> I selected all the files and started copying it into my another HD.
>> It all went fine for 20 seconds and then I get the error message "Error splicing file: Input/output error" for all the files.
>> Now when I go back to the bad HD, I can see all the main folders intact but none of it has any files.
>> If I unplug and plug my HD back and then mount it again, I can see all those files. If I start copying any file again, I get the same issue.
Kindly help me out on this.

Thanks
Sivakumar

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

You may have a better chance copying the files using the Testdisk utility. But since this is an external drive, it will be easier to copy your files if you use the Windows version of Testdisk. Do a quick search and see if it detects your partition(s) then use the "P" key to see if it detects any files. But remember, do not write any partition table if you cannot see your files and it's best to copy the files first before attempting any write command.

This is the link in the referenced post that will explain the copy opertation.

What happens if you try to copy files using the bootable disk of Parted Magic, the location for copying to is defaulted to the CD which cannot work. You have to use the left/right arrow keys to navigate to the drive you are copying to. With the Windows version the default copy to location is the directory you unzipped Testdisk to, usually a folder on your desktop. If you are copying to another external drive, unzip the Testdisk folder to that drive. When you copy the files will be sent to the external drive by default.

Another thing. Is the drive you are copying to another external drive? Are you copying any files larger than 4GB. Make sure the drive to are copying to is formatted NTFS.

#3 ssivada

ssivada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

John,

I did try test disk before, but the process was taking ages.

The copy process ran overnight and not even 1 percent was copied and remaining time was more than a week.

And I'm planning to copy almost 400GB of data from my bad drive.

I have another external HD which is 1TB  and even my internal HD can accommodate the data.

So I have enough backup space, it's just that I can't get it to start copying properly.

As I mentioned, with testdisk, not even a single file got copied after I left it overnight, but with Parted Magic, I was able to copy upto 50MB of data after which the error "Error splicing file: Input/output error" is displayed.

Thanks

Sivakumar

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Having Testdisk run that long tells me the drive is close to failure. But I am not sure how to procees other then copying small chunks to the rescue drive. I think this would be the safest way.

Another option would be to do a ddrescue but that may put more stress on the drive which you definitely do not want. If you do decide to use ddrescue you can either do it by copying directly to the other drive but be carefull you are sending it to the external drive and not your internal drive as all data would be erased. Or you can ddrescue to an image and then use PhotoRec or Testdisk on the image. You could also use OSFmount on the recovered image but I don't have high hopes because of the length of time it took Testdisk to scan the drive.

#5 ssivada

ssivada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thanks John,

I will give ddrescure a try and update here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users