Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP black screen of woe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1reclaimed

1reclaimed

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

Friends HP pavilion a510n running win XP sp3 when buggy on her then got a BSOD message

Stop: 0x0000001E (0X00000005,0X804B6ADE,0X00000000,0X458AC756)

Did a restart got into the HP repair console ran CHKDSK /R  and it reported everything okay then when for restart and hung for hours tried to turn off or restart manually had to unplug machine finally. On restart machine cycles, but only black screen appears I replaced cmos battery and on/off switch as it would not turn off machine but made no difference would like to run linux puppy to save her stuff as there are no backups of course. Any help much thanks Jack

Edited by 1reclaimed, 26 July 2014 - 12:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Following may be of some help, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489067/dual-boot-system-bluescreens-1-of-my-startup-choices/?p=3007189 .

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Download Puppy Linux 5.2.8. Burn the iso and boot Puppy by double clicking the file on a Windows 7 computer or using isoburner if on XP. You may have to change the boot order in BIOS. When the Puppy desktop appears, click once on the hard drive icon in the lower left of the desktop. The File Manager will open. Attach a USB flash or external drive. A USB icon will appear next to your CD drive icon. Click once and another File Manager will open. Drag and drop between Windows. Multiple folders and icons can be selected by holding Ctrl and left clicking. Here is a good guide on it's use. After you have copied all the files do a ntfsfix as shown on page 2 of the guide.

Do you have access to another XP computer. If you do, you could do a System Restore and see if the computer will boot. This will only work if you have a XP computer.

See this for using the Demo version of ERD commander Edit: ERD has a good file manager for copying files.

Hopefully the hard drive has not become RAW after the chkdsk command. If Puppy cannot see the drive, you may have to use another option but see if Puppy or ERD commander works for you.

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#4 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for your quick replies Hamluis and JohnC_21 I've got puppy.iso already and also on a usb stick, my problem is that I can't enter and change the bios boot order as all I've got is a black screen with nothing. I've tried the F 1, F-8, F 11 keys on boot, but nothing happens the machine cycles on with it's checks and then seems sometimes to lock onto the hard drive (constant light on) but nothing happens, also the machine will not power off via the on/off switch.

Also have a copy of plop on a boot CD, sorry for not being clearer on my first post Jack

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Have you tried tapping the Del key at boot? Also try tapping the F1 key if Del does not work. Tapping the key works better for me than pressing it.

Edit: If the above does not work tap the Esc key at boot. Then F10

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 July 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#6 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

JohnC tried the tapping and nothing changed same as before with complete black screen and flashing monitor light as in no signal, the hard drive light is on constant no flashing the machine still won't shut down via on/off power button.

Read another post where it said to move the CMOS jumpers from 1-2 over to 3-4 and pull the battery for twenty minutes to reset to default settings and then replace same back to the way it was and restart computer.

Question would this wipe all HP special setting such as hidden partitions etc. or would that be part of the default ?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

That could help. Unplug any power before you do it. Using the jumper, you do not have to pull the battery. After this is done you will need to reset BIOS to defaults. According to HP, F1 is the key to access BIOS.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00069442&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#c00069442_doc

If this does not work, you can remove the drive and use either a USB external enclosure or USB adapter like this. Just be careful to avoid touching the hard drive PCB. Is this an IDE or SATA drive?

#8 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Thanks JohnC at this point I am thinking that maybe the motherboard on this HP is the problem as that stop code 0X0000001E hardware failure lists motherboard, processor, memory and that would explain much of the problems on this machine.

I will do the CMOS jumper trick and see if that helps in anyway and thanks for the ebay link on the USB adapter I was thinking along those lines myself to try and save her data off the IDE hardrive

Got another question I've got another old running XP machine is there a down side to swapping the hard drives just to see if the HP drive will in fact boot at all and may in fact be okay, this would save me the days of shipping wait on the adapter which I'll order anyway.

Thanks Jack

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

The hard drive would try to boot but would probably bluescreen because of the hardware difference between the two computers but give it a go. If the old XP has a SATA port, you could attach the one from the 510 and transfer any files.

The adapter option is a good one. I would first contact the seller if buying from ebay and confirm if the adapter will work on Windows 7. I have use one on XP without a problem but I have not tried on a Windows 7 computer. I should do that soon.

If you have two or more RAM modules, remove all but one and try booting. Also change slots. One of the slots may be bad. Do this with all RAM modules. Only do this if you are comfortable. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the case and remove the power cord. And by the way, the F11 key is supposed to let you do a factory reset.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 July 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#10 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

If your using a USB keyboard and you can not get to the bios or and boot order option using the F keys, try using a PS2 keyboard, The bios might not have lagacy USB enabled by default

#11 1reclaimed

1reclaimed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

JohnC did the CMOS jumper trick, but this HP machine shows no signs of startup, there is nothing only the light on the power unit.  I do believe it's the motherboard as the startup black screen and lack of shut down via on/off switch, note I've removed the ram and placed into a spare XP machine of mine and there was no problems at all in multi restarts.

Have ordered that enclosure and will pop HP hard drive into it when it arrives and see if it still works and save her data and then turn it into a backup system that she may even use (miracles do happen) on a newer windows machine with less problems. 

Thanks for all the help guys as this was an odd duck indeed.

Will update on HP hard drive status and thanks Joe C good tip where possible I always use an old PS2 board 

Edited by 1reclaimed, 27 July 2014 - 07:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users