Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alert: latest hao123 hijacks homepage *through your Windows desktop shortcuts*

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thewriteanswer

thewriteanswer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:27 PM

I registered to this forum simply to reply to someone who had posted a few days ago about the problem of hao123 hijacking the homepage of his browser (which redirects it to hao123.com). Being a newbie here I was not able to directly reply to him to help. But I've also seen this problem asked on other forums with no solutions.

The latest hao123 simply appends its URL to all the Windows shortcuts to your browser.

So for example if you right-click on the Windows desktop shortcut for Firefox, and look in the "Target:" box, chances are, you'll see that the hao123 URL has been appended to the link to the browser file.

So, after you use Malwarebytes or another reliable anti-malware program, check to see if the hao123.com URL has been appended to your browser shortcuts. Your system may not be infected anymore -- it's just the addresses in the shortcuts to any browser installed on your Windows computer that you need to manually change.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 27 July 2014 - 01:32 PM.
Moved to General Security from log forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

Good to know in case others encounter this issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users