Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

#x*&r$$ Junkware Removal Tool

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zcar

Zcar

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Downloaded and ran the program expecting that if it found anything it would give me the option to delete or not.  Instead after running it informed me that it had successfully removed some Big Fish game files.  I've gotten quite a collection of Big Fish games over the years and have never had an issue with a virus or malware so I don't know what Junkware found that it didn't like.  I had just ran Malwarebytes, Super Antispyware and Adware.  All came up empty.

Junkware has managed to completely fubar my Big Fish Game program.  First thing after closing Junkware (unfortunately didn't write down the names of the removed files), I opened my (win 8.1) modern page and clicked the Game Manager icon.  Got an error message that the program couldn't open.  Noticed that some of the game entries indicated "activate xxxx game"  The uninstall option was gone and nothing happened when I clicked the icon.  I finally gave up and used a system restore point from two days ago figuring that would put things right.  Wrong!  Whatever Junkware did it must have done it in the restore files as well because I still couldn't open the Big Fish Game Manager.  I uninstalled it from programs in the control panel, downloaded a fresh copy and installed it.  It created icons in the modern page but if I click on it does absolutely nothing.  I removed one of the games using the uninstall.exe in the game file and downloaded a fresh copy from Big Fish.  When I tried to install the fresh copy of the game absolutely nothing at all happened. 

It appears that Junkware Removal Tool has completely blocked anything from Big Fish Games and did so without even asking me if I wanted to remove any files.  Needless to say you can find me in the unhappy camper camp and I haven't yet figured out how I'm ever going to fix this situation. 

Edited by Orange Blossom, 25 July 2014 - 08:49 PM.
Moved to General security. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zcar

Zcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

I just now discovered that all of my extensions appear to be gone from my Firefox browser.  The extensions page comes up blank but the cookie culler extension is still installed and running (it shows in the Tools).  I opened one of my newspaper sites and a popup came up.  Apparently my Adblock plus extension is gone or not working and popup blocker is checked in Firefox options.  I had previously updated Firefox to version 31 but the system restore reverted it to version 30.  About Firefox shows update to version 31 is available but clicking on update does nothing.  I'm beginning to wonder what Junkware has done to my system.  I've run a virus scan with my ESET AV program and also scanned with Malwarebytes and Super antispyware.  No threats were found.

Edit:

Managed to update to  version 31 Firefox.  Had to download and run from outside Firefox.  When finished all of my add-on's have returned.

Edited by Zcar, 26 July 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

Downloaded and ran the program expecting that if it found anything it would give me the option to delete or not...

I agree. I found this http://thisisudax.blogspot.com/2012/09/junkware-removal-tool-jrt-by-thisisu.html and can't for the life of me understand why the italicized/bolded  portion of the following description is omitted on all the download pages I've seen (including Bleeping's) :unsure:

The tool is designed to remove all traces of these types of programs which includes services, registry values, registry keys, files, and folders. The tool will also restore some default settings for Internet Explorer and Mozilla FireFox. Google Chrome is not supported (perhaps in future).

The tool is non-interactive so the user can simply open it by double-clicking and wait for the log report (JRT.txt) to open when the tool is finished. A copy of the log is saved to the user's desktop incase you want the user to attach the log.

Dangerous tool IMHO. shrug.gif

Edited by Union_Thug, 26 July 2014 - 02:29 AM.

#4 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Dangerous tool IMHO. shrug.gif

I agree also that it's dangerous.  Whenever deleting things, there should be AT LEAST one confirmation for whatever is deleted.

Have a great day!
:bananas: :bounce:

#5 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:29 PM

Junkware Removal Tool (JRT), and almost all of the active malware removal tools, are tremendously helpful in the hands of those who know when and how to use them. Malware Removal Helpers constantly employ JRT and AdwCleaner and almost always in concert.

Yet those experienced in such matters know that other information gathering tools, and actions, should be used first, and in sequence, on systems of unknown condition.

If you insist on using these powerful tools in an un-guided manner, do your system (and you) a favor and please precede with at least a timely System Recovery Point (SRP) and a recent full-system backup.

Yet still, a well thought out malware prevention & security plan might have helped avert a subsequent disaster.

HTH :)

Edited by 1PW, 26 July 2014 - 09:30 PM.

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

JRT is a free non-interactive batch program that automatically removes whatever it finds...there are no options to skip or ignore detections and no option to backup/restore removed items.

JRT's disclaimer clearly states: "This software is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. You may use this software at your own risk."

JRT's download link shows two screenshots...the one on the left includes the disclaimer which appears when first running JRT. thisisu's home page (blog) also shows the same screenshot with the disclaimer.

jrtcmdsm.jpg
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Zcar

Zcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

For what it might be worth 1PW in all my years of computers I have never had to deal with malware or a virus.  I run a top notch, active anti virus program and scan occasionally with malwarebytes and super antispyware.  I'm also pretty careful about system backups and creating restore points before program installs  I'm also careful in my surfing habits and downloads.  Prior to running JRT I had scanned with my malware and antivirus programs which came up clean.  A thread in a newsgroup led me to take a look at JRT.  It was completely unexpected that JRT would remove files without warning thus a restore point that was two day old.  JRT may be a powerful program but in this case it deleted files it shouldn't have and did not give me the option to advise not to do it.  Fortunately I have been able to put things back in order and my system is now operating normally.

#8 Zcar

Zcar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

That's a pretty standard warning quietman7 and I didn't expect any warranty.  Where on the download site does it warn or even advise that files will be removed automatically?  As I stated to 1PW it was unexpected that files would be removed without asking. 

#9 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

Again - the previous warnings of un-guided malware removal shall prevail.

Because JRT and AdwCleaner are frequently run as a pair while removing malware, it might be prudent to have AdwCleaner run first and manually check each instance of what AdwCleaner wants to delete, even though the developer (Xplode) has provided quarantine abilities.

Perhaps then if AdwCleaner resulted in zero errors, a follow on with JRT could be tried. But again the caveat is that good backups of all flavors are in abundance.

@Zcar: Really - I'm truly happy you were able to recover! I do respect what you've sent in post #7. But all it takes is a moment of weakness, a temporary lapse in better judgment, a mis-typed address in your browser's URL bar, a zero-day exploit, a compromised site you trusted for years, almost anything, etc, and we become the victims.

Cheers. :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:33 AM

That's a pretty standard warning quietman7 and I didn't expect any warranty.  Where on the download site does it warn or even advise that files will be removed automatically?  As I stated to 1PW it was unexpected that files would be removed without asking.

When run, Junkware Removal Tool will remove all traces of these programs including their files, Registry keys, and folders.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

For the reasons given above shouldn't BC post some sort of disclaimer about running JRT without expert help as is the case with Combo-Fix's d/l page & usage page? Should there not also be a JRT usage page? The answer clearly is a resounding yes, IMHO...YMMV.

>>>Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.<<<

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/273628/combofix-usage-questions-help-look-here/

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 July 2014 - 08:37 AM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: 1) automatically remove known infections and 2) provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner.

JRT is designed to remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, extensions, add-ons, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware...it removes all traces of these types of programs which includes services, registry values, registry keys, files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. Hence JRT does not fall into the same category as Combofix and JRT's disclaimer speaks for itself as does similar disclaimers for other tools.

#13 scotty_ncc1701

scotty_ncc1701

• Members
  • 520 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Nothing I say here is meant to be disrepectful, just my two cents.
============
Keep several things in mind.

1.  Most members here probably just download the program directly from this site.  I SEE NO WARNING about the non-interactive nature of JRT, as of 2014_07_24, 1013 ET USA.  IMO, a warning needs to be added there.

2.  The program warning is irrelevant, in my book, because of the non-interactive nature of the program.  There should also be warned when the program is ran, as a safety measure.

3.  I always test programs on my test machine, or in a virtual environment to prevent the issues that Zcar had.  So if the program messes up the test computer, or virtual environment, no biggie.

No warning when the program starts, of the non-interactive nature of it = the program is dangerous.

In order to maintain a list of what's going to happen (items to be deleted) it can be done in two easy ways.  

1.  Create an internal array of the list of what was found, which I think is what the author is doing, and display the information on the screen, with a query, if the program is to continue.

2.  Create a text file, with the same information, and open it in notepad, showing the user the change that WILL BE DONE, and query the user, if the program is to continue, making the deletions.

Both of the above are programming 101.

When I tested JRT, it was on my test computer, in response to what Zcar.  I'm under the opinion that Zcar would have aborted the cleaning, if JRT would have told Zcar what it was going to do, and that it was non-interactive on the cleaning.

Also, it MAKES ME WONDER if some of the other problems members have been experiencing is due to the same basic circumstances, that programs like JRT has deleted things that the user wasn't warned about.

When making modifications to a person's computer, it needs to be done carefully.  In this case the non-interactive nature of this program, a warning of the non-interactive nature.  Also IMO, the display of what will be changed needs to be displayed, and the user allowed the opportunity to stop the process.

Have a great day!

#14 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Nothing I say here is meant to be disrepectful, just my two cents.
============
Keep several things in mind.

1.  Most members here probably just download the program directly from this site.  I SEE NO WARNING about the non-interactive nature of JRT, as of 2014_07_24, 1013 ET USA.  IMO, a warning needs to be added there.

2.  The program warning is irrelevant, in my book, because of the non-interactive nature of the program.  There should also be warned when the program is ran, as a safety measure.

3.  I always test programs on my test machine, or in a virtual environment to prevent the issues that Zcar had.  So if the program messes up the test computer, or virtual environment, no biggie.

No warning when the program starts, of the non-interactive nature of it = the program is dangerous.

In order to maintain a list of what's going to happen (items to be deleted) it can be done in two easy ways.  

1.  Create an internal array of the list of what was found, which I think is what the author is doing, and display the information on the screen, with a query, if the program is to continue.

2.  Create a text file, with the same information, and open it in notepad, showing the user the change that WILL BE DONE, and query the user, if the program is to continue, making the deletions.

Both of the above are programming 101.

When I tested JRT, it was on my test computer, in response to what Zcar.  I'm under the opinion that Zcar would have aborted the cleaning, if JRT would have told Zcar what it was going to do, and that it was non-interactive on the cleaning.

Also, it MAKES ME WONDER if some of the other problems members have been experiencing is due to the same basic circumstances, that programs like JRT has deleted things that the user wasn't warned about.

When making modifications to a person's computer, it needs to be done carefully.  In this case the non-interactive nature of this program, a warning of the non-interactive nature.  Also IMO, the display of what will be changed needs to be displayed, and the user allowed the opportunity to stop the process.

Have a great day!

What Scotty said. Thanks to all who responded. :)

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

We can only provide feedback to the developers of these tools.

I can assure you that thisisu welcomes feedback and reads all suggestions, comments and concerns provided by users. What changes he chooses to make in regards to any issues is up to him as he makes the final decision.

However, thisisu recently advised not to expect any updates soon as he eventually plans to rewrite the existing program in a different, more efficient programming language. As for what other changes he intends to make, we will just have to wait and see. No timeline for when this will be accomplished was provided but hopefully it will be in the near future.

Please be aware that Staff and Security Experts are all volunteers who assist members as time permits. No one is paid for their work or assistance to members of our community. We have jobs in the real world, families and other commitments which take priority over anything we do here.

We are grateful for whatever free work our volunteer Security Developer's can dedicate to creating and updating specialized fix tools that help so many of our members with malware related problems. And while our volunteer Security Developer's welcome feedback and suggestions, we cannot realistically expect them to address every question, make changes or incorporate fixes for every scenario users may encounter. Usually when enough users encounter and have reported a reoccurring issue, our developers do make every attempt to find solutions but that too can take time.

Thanks for understanding.
The BC Staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users