Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 in windows 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 focusbob

focusbob

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Hi forum,

I recently experienced a double hard drive failure; 1 drive (WD raptor) contained the OS and the other drive was a member of a 2 disk RAID 1 array (via ICH10R southbridge). I bought a new SSD for the OS and bought a replacement drive for the RAID 1 array. I installed both drives, rebuilt the array via the low level intel RAID tool (that appears prior to OS boot, using ctrl I). Then I installed Windows 8 on the SSD. Now, I'm not sure how to tell whether my RAID 1 array is rebuilding within windows 8 or whether I have to do something additional to make that happen. In the low level intel tool it says "rebuild" with a note that the rebuilding will take place within the OS; two HDDs are listed and both are labeled as member disk. When I go into disk management in windows, all I see regarding the RAID 1 array is "Disk 1" labeled as "storage" (the name it previously had); it is listed as healthy, basic, active primary partition. Nowhere do I see two disks listed for the RAID 1 array. In device manager the array is listed as "storage" and had one entry; the SSD in contrast is listed by the HDDs model number. How can I get the array to rebuild and how can I tell that it is doing so?  

Please advise!

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

The array is probably rebuilding in the background anyway, you just can't see it, as there is nothing in the out of box Win8 drivers to expose it.

I suspect that you need to install the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology". There may be a version from your motherboard manufacturer, or there is a generic version here. ...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24006&lang=eng&ProdId=2101

This will install-the Intel version of the RAID driver and the utility to manage the array.

A couple of health warnings...

As with anything like this - check the documentation for that package to ensure it is suitable for your system (I can't imagine it wouldn't be BUT... ), and weigh up the pros and cons of using the Intel generic package vs any from your motherboard manufacturer (which may be older, but just possibly customised for your system). Personally I use the Intel package every time...

Secondly you are replacing the disk driver for your secondary array - there, just possibly be dragons!. I've never had any issues with this particular driver, and a further mitigation is that this is not your boot/system, drive (so even if the driver proved incompatible, band the RAID drive became inaccessible you'd still easily be able to boot and fix the driver). Personally I'd pause, take a deep breath and press on!...

Good luck!

x64

Edited by x64, 26 July 2014 - 12:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users