Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I approach my ISP?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Evel_Knievel

Evel_Knievel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

I feel like I'm just not getting my moneys worth at all.

I have hoosierbroadband which is a wireless internet for rural addresses that can't get DSL.

Here's a copy & paste of the service I'm paying for, plus I pay additional for a static IP.

Broadband Elite
Up to 2.5 Mbps burstable speed, 1.5 Mbps down, 600 Kbps up, Unlimited Internet access, No Monthly Bandwidth Cap, No Limit on the Number of Home Machines, 5 e-mail address accounts, Customer support help-desk (during regular business hours),128-bit data encryption, Starting at $99.95 per month.

I have a Netgear R6250 router. We have 2 iphones, 1 laptop, and one Xbox 360 connected wirelessly, and my PC is wired directly to the router.

I go into the router settings and turn off both wireless radios so that only my PC is connected. Then do a speed test at speedtest.net.

Seems like no matter what time of the day or night, the speed test ranges are always .66-.77 Mb/s down, .32-.38 Mb/s upload, and between 16-18 ms ping.

Isn't that about half the speeds I should be getting? A 2.5 Mbps burst is a really far fetched myth and I could care less about a "burst", but shouldn't I consistently get 1.5 Mbps??

I wanted to check here 1st to make sure I'm seeing this correctly. And 2ndly how should I approach them about why I'm paying $117 a month for half the advertised speeds? I've been doing these speed tests on a regular basis but only recently started documenting every one at least once a day.

Any advice would be appreciated.

This crappy service often causes an error on youtube and it's never capable of watching a video without slow loading at 420 resolution let alone 720 or 1080

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Who owns the modem and router? Once I have that information I have a suggested plan for you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Evel_Knievel

Evel_Knievel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

There is no modem. I own the Netgear R6250 router. It's an antenna on the roof with a cat5 cable that runs from the antenna in to a small powered adapter for the cat5 cable that plugs into my router. Pretty simple setup.

Edited by Evel_Knievel, 25 July 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Okay here's the idea I have. Since you own the router and to take that out of the equation for negotiation purposes. Is it possible to plug in a computer straight into the adapter like it does to the router? If so then I would take random samplings of speed test runs save them to a file. Make sure you have at least 14 days/nights worth of random samples. Then when you go in to the business office to negotiate. You will have hard evidence that from their interface right to your hardware they are not meeting their service level, at any time of the day or night. That you should only be charged for the percentage of service they provide. 25% of service level, 25% monthly fee should be assessed to you. That should be your demand and then you can negotiate from there.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Intalex

Intalex

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

They might be able to put in a repair ticket for you. Otherwise as stated above, you can provide them with test results and dispute your bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users