Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Secunia PSI

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 2917hubert

2917hubert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi All, I'm having a problem with updating a program that Secunia states needs a manual update. The program in question is Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.x I've tried updating this several times and it appears to download, but every time I load Secunia to run a scan it reports the same update is required?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Paulito

Paulito

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

Same here with Flash Player even when i run the installer it doesn't seem to work correctly.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

Have you tried going direct to the Microsoft site and downloading it directly ?  This is the link here -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=19662

As for Paulito's problems - the same applies. Have you tried going to the Adobe web-site - www.adobe.com - and running the installer from there ?  If you still have problems, then your best course of action is to start your own topic about your problem with flash. You should not try to attach a second, different, problem to another post.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Paulito

Paulito

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

Apologies, I wasn't hijacking (guess it could look like that though), i was just pointing out that Secunia doesn't always pick up when a user has updated.

#5 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:20 AM

Hello there 2917hubert and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :welcome:

This topic has been hotly contested over at the Secunia Forums and, as best as I can tell, if you are running Windows 7, you shouldn't worry about this issue.

The angry discussion and the...*ahem*...lack of an informational response from Secunia can be found here and here.

I'm running the 2.0 version of PSI and after several scans and reboots, I'm now showing 100%...even though I never updated to 6.0.  :mellow:

I'm chalking it up to a False Positive on Secunia's part. And thus far, I'm having trouble finding anyone anywhere that's telling me (or posting) different.

I've been losing a wee bit of confidence in Secunia over all as of late, but it's still a dang handy app to find that out-of-date stuff on my Windows side of things.

Hope that helps and, again, welcome.

Winterland

Edited by hamluis, 27 July 2014 - 09:39 AM.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#6 2917hubert

2917hubert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thank you all for your consideration! I really appreciated the insight and help. Good day all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users