Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSH into a Mac

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Quevvy

Quevvy

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have remote login turned on; the settings page says "To log in to this computer remotely, type "ssh user@some.address.com".", so I assume that means it's running. My firewall is turned off.

But whenever I try to use SSH to get into my computer, I get the error message: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host.

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I have remote login turned on; the settings page says "To log in to this computer remotely, type "ssh user@some.address.com".", so I assume that means it's running. My firewall is turned off.

But whenever I try to use SSH to get into my computer, I get the error message: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host.
Any help would be appreciated.

Is the Mac "behind" a router? If so, you will need to setup "port forwarding" for the router.

#3 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:04 PM

Is the Mac "behind" a router? If so, you will need to setup "port forwarding" for the router.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Is there a way to check if it's connected to a router?

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Is there a way to check if it's connected to a router?

Is this a computer at home or at work? What kind of Internet connection do you have?

The quick way to check is to go to Network settings in System Prefs and see what IP address is listed for your network connection. If it starts with 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, or 192.168.xxx.xxx, then you are almost definitely behind a router as those are all "private IP addresses".

#5 Quevvy

Quevvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Is this a computer at home or at work? What kind of Internet connection do you have?

The quick way to check is to go to Network settings in System Prefs and see what IP address is listed for your network connection. If it starts with 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, 10.xxx.xxx.xxx, or 192.168.xxx.xxx, then you are almost definitely behind a router as those are all "private IP addresses".

This is technically a "work" computer, but I have full administrative privileges. My IP Address is with 134.xxx.xxx.xxx. This computer is hooked up through ethernet.

Should the IP Address matter if it is already set up with the remote login? (user@some.address.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users