Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Okay, I know I must be missing something very basic here. I just set up a Homegroup, connecting the three computers in our house to one network in order to sahre files and my one printer. The computer that is hard wired to the cable modem is my daughter's Dell Vostro 200 - if the specs are needed for that, please let me know. My computer specs are listed in my signature, and the third computer on the network is an Asus X45U aptop. Again, if specs for this computer are needed, please let me know. The problem is this:

Setting the homegroup was a breeze, and at this point, each computer can detect the others. The computer that I have an issue with is the Asus laptop. It detects my computer, which is the computer that is connected to the printer. However, it is unable to either detect or connect to the printer. My daughter's computer immediately detected both my computer and the printer. When I try to access it by connecting to my computer via the laptop, Windows 7 retuns an error telling me that the laptop may not have permission to use this network resource. Additionally, the error message states that the specified network provider name is invalid. The printer is configured to be shared with all users.

Of note: When attempting to connect the laptop to my computer via the shared media devices, the laptop has no problem connecting. It's only the printer that I can't connect to.

~As stated, the Dell is connected to the internet modem and to the wireless router via LAN cable.

~My computer, and the laptop, both connect wirelessly.

~The router is a Belkin N600

~Approximate distance from the router to my PC: 30 ft., give or take. Approximate distance from the router to the laptop when in us is usually 10 ft. or so.

~Internet connection is 30Mb/s Cable.

While I don't have any concerns whatsoever about BC, or downloads provided here, my antivirus went nuts over MiniToolBox. It's been quarantined. If this is something that's truly needed, let me know, and I'll turn off Avast! and DL it that way.

If further info is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 July 2014 - 08:47 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

In your profile it says Windows 7, so I take it all 3 of these are running Windows 7.  Given that, it's probably a firewall problem.  Since we don't know what firewall you have, I can't be more specific.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Hi, Melissa.  What happened to your other thread about this?  I posted a reply that this was most likely a firewall problem.  I've had a similar experience which caused me to change my router's settings.  My earlier post never made it to the board here, but I saw where Boopme had posted a link.  Now that thread has disappeared, so I'm scratching my head.  Anyway, as a test I'd suggest you temporarily disable your firewall on the system the printer is connected to and the one having the problem accessing it.  Your firewall setup is different from mine - I see you have the Comodo firewall and I'm using the Windows firewall.  In my case the problem was in the router where I had to sign on and allow access to the range of IP addresses the router assigns.  

As an example my router assigns IP addresses in the range of 192.168.0.101 through 192.168.0.110, so I had to tell it to allow access to all 3 computers in that range.  My router is a Tenda W268R one.  If you have the same one, let me know, and I'll get you the specifics.  In the more likely event that yours is different, you'll need to check your user guide for it.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hmmm... As far as I know, this is the only thread I've posted about this problem? I wonder if some posts were dropped somehow?

Anyway, yes, all three computers are using Win 7. I've turned off the firewall on both the laptop, and on my computer. No luck - the laptop still can't detect the printer. When using the laptop to access shared files and folders, it has no problem. When I try to add the printer to the laptop, one of two things happens.1: If I try to have the laptop add a printer, it fails to find one, and all Win 7 built in measures to resolve the issue fail. If I try to navigate to the printer across the network from trhe laptop to my computer, I receive the error message mentioned in the OP. Again - it is only the printer that the laptop can't connect to - I can view and use all shared files and folders except for the printer.

Edit: My apologies - the wireless router is a Belkin N600DB, Model F9K1102 v2. I was thinking of the network name on the router, which is belkin.b10. DOH!

Edited by MelissaPleases, 25 July 2014 - 07:05 PM.

Snowden03.png

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:56 PM

You probably did this already but just making sure. Did you install the printer drivers to the laptop?

#6 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

You probably did this already but just making sure. Did you install the printer drivers to the laptop?

Yes, I did. My daughter's Dell downloaded and installed them from my computer automatically - it just asked for permission to do so. The laptop didn't ask, so I manually installed them.

Snowden03.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Have you tried the Printer Troubleshooter on the laptop?

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I did. The issue is that the laptop, for some unknown reason, doesn't detect that there is a network printer available.

Snowden03.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Network Discovery is on the laptop, correct?

When you created the homegroup which computer started the group? Was it the one attached to the router? I am wondering if it would make a difference if the computer with the printer started the homegroup and the others joined it.

Is it feasible to have the printer connected directly to the router. The router manual says it has a USB port that can be used for printers.

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:11 PM

The computer that started the Homegroup was mine, which is the computer connected to the printer. It's really feasible to connect the printer to the router, due mostly to the location. I'm trying to keep most of the computer oriented stuff out of the living room. The cable connection comes in through my daughter's bedroom - she has no wireless capability on her PC, so the modem kind of went to her computer by default. Since the wifi is also located in her room, that could be difficult. Wading into that girl's room is an adventure in itself, and I'm not sure I want to trust leaving the printer in there.

Snowden03.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

See if the steps shown here work by giving the printer a share name. It shows how to connect a printer on the same Network but not the same Homegroup. Hopefully by giving the printer a share name the laptop will pick it up.

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

No dice... I'm going to try just eliminating the homegroup, and then recreating it from the laptop. Hopefully, that may prove fruitful.

Edit: That was an exercise in futility - I experienced the same results. I have no clue where to go from here... :(

Edited by MelissaPleases, 26 July 2014 - 11:31 AM.

Snowden03.png

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:13 AM

Have you tried changing the router's settings like I mentioned in #3?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

I am kind of running out of ideas.

"Windows 7 retuns an error telling me that the laptop may not have permission to use this network resource"

Not sure this is the problem but make sure password protected sharing is turned off on the computer with printer.

#15 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

I am kind of running out of ideas.

"Windows 7 retuns an error telling me that the laptop may not have permission to use this network resource"

Not sure this is the problem but make sure password protected sharing is turned off on the computer with printer.

It's off. I'm not sure what to do. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to detect and then tell my router to assign IP addresses to all three computers within that range - the suggestion from wpgwpg. And just for the sake of clarity, since I sometimes don't explain things very well, this is a graphic of how the network is physically set up.

Attached Files

Snowden03.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users