Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HowTo] Upgrade libc6 on Debian Stable (Wheezy)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RandomGG

RandomGG

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

The last stable libc6 version is the v2.13. This is something that has been bothering me the last days. The update is needed to run Steam, Popcorn Time and some other apps. There is an unofficial installer for Steam that uses the official lib from Ubuntu and works great (I used it for a few hours) but I needed the update for other things so I had to proceed. The info on the internet is confusing, mostly they say that you can update from the testing repos Jessie and/or Sid, but if you do that straight forward you can mess up your system. When I tried it, almost loose the Gnome enviroment, all Gnome related was on the Delete list. -ALWAYS look what you are installing, especially from non stable or unofficial reposotories-

Spending some time looking for a solution I found this post on Stackoverflow, and works flawlessly (for me at least).

The Steps you have to follow:

First of all  you need to exit out of your display manager by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1. Then you can stop x (slim) with:

sudo /etc/init.d/slim stop

*Replace slim with your Display manager, e.g. in my case was gdm3

-THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT-

Next you have to add the Sid repo

Add the following line to the file /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid main

You can do this from Synaptic as well before you stop the display manager. Config-Repositories-Other Software-add...

After that

apt-get update

Finally

apt-get -t sid install libc6-amd64 libc6-dev libc6-dbg

After that I recommend to delete the Sid repo.

Note: I did this and worked very well. I am not responsible if you mess up your system. Do your research first, be sure and backup your important data before doing anything.

Original Post: Link

If you need help with something just post a reply and I would try to help you, and I'm sure that the advanced users on the forum will try as well.

Note 2: I'm a non-native english speaker, so excuse me for any misspelling.

Edited by RandomGG, 25 July 2014 - 10:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

I don't recommend this type of user behavior when using Debian's stable branch, it defeats the entire point of using the stable branch to begin with. If the outdated packages are that much of a concern, or it has a negative affect on your productivity,  you should consider an alternative distribution or branch instead of sacrificing the major selling point of Debian Stable. When you go around trying to update critical system components like libc6, you are sacrificing stability, which is the only real technical benefit of Debian Stable over a more modern distribution.

Following this guide will place end-users in one of the two situations:

• If Sid is removed from your sources after: You will no longer get any support for the package at all. If there are any major bugs or security problems, you're stuck with them. Also, good luck dist-upgrading when Jessie becomes stable!
  • If Sid is not removed from sources after: Your installation will eventually break, period. Sure, it could be fine for a while, but it will eventually break. Again, good luck dist-upgrading when Jessie becomes stable!

You should be using a distribution that best meets your personal needs, not trying to force a purpose-specific distribution to meet those needs. Debian Stable's goal is to provide a well-tested, stable and secure distribution that is suitable for use in a production environment. Following this guide will sacrifice all three of those features. Sid packages are not tested, the package will now have zero security support, and the package will eventually break the installation.

If you're fine with putting yourself at risk or knowing your installation will eventually break, feel free to do whatever you want with your system that works for you. However, so many users follow guides like this without realizing the risks involved. Just because it works for a few months does not mean it will work for the duration of your installation. In the absolute best case, your installation will work alright until Jessie becomes stable and you want to upgrade, then it will break. In the worst case, your installation breaks upon your next update.

Edited by Kaosu, 25 July 2014 - 01:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users