Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Writer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MCB

MCB

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:54 AM

I have a Dell 3100 running Windows XP, the Philips DVD writer suddenly stopped writing - it will still read. I tried downloading an updated driver but this didn't help. I decided to do a complete system recovery but - writer is not working so I can't back up my data! I've tried deleting it and re-installing but with no luck.

I installed a new Sony writer last week but I'm still having the same problem, it comes up with a 'drive inaccessible' error message.

I would really appreciate any help/suggestions.

MaryB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 09:52 AM

Use Windows System Restore to revert your system state back to before the problem began last week.

Did you install any software when you installed the Sony drive. If you did, did it include "InCd"?

#3 MCB

MCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

I've tried system restore but that didn't solve the problem. I didn't install any new software when I installed the Sony drive. Any other suggestions please? :thumbsup:

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 09:51 AM

Is it not booting? or just booting to safe mode?

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 04 June 2006 - 11:08 AM

If System Restore reinstalled XP and the DVD writer still doesn't work then that suggests that the DVD drive is bad. A good DVD+CD writer can be had for less than $40US and is easily installed.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

Try going to the device manager and see if there is a yellow or red warning icon for the dvd drive. If there is, delete it and let Windows find and reinstall it on a reboot.

#7 MCB

MCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for those suggestions but:

It boots OK - doesn't go into Safe Mode
I've fitted a new drive but still get the same error message: 'drive inaccessible'
I've deleted the drive from Device Manager and it's found and re-installed it - it also states that is is working properly!

Any more suggestions? :thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

When you installed it did you set the jumper to master or slave (whichever applies by its position on the IDE cable)?

And do you have both optical drives on the same IDE cable (as they should be)?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:35 PM

Try using another burning program.
Download the free version of Deepburner here and try it.
http://www.deepburner.com/?r=download

#10 MCB

MCB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for that suggestion, I've downloaded DeepBurner and copied a music CD and a data CD - progress at last! I'm not sure if it is working 100% reliably - didn't have enough time to 'play' with it last night. How can I stop files being copied as 'read-only'? :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users