Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A computer for mom

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zackers

Zackers

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:56 AM

hello everyone! My mother owns a computer for 4 reasons. To look at her outlook.com and MSN homepage, to play MSN games, to buy things, and to collect malware.

probably every 2 months or so her "MSN doesn't work" and her computer is slow and they're all these things popping up. God love her,I don't know how she does it. I login via teamviewer, run malwarebytes and I uninstall crazy coupon programs and things that she says she has never seen before.

she also pays bills online and does online banking. She says she uses different passwords for every site, but I bet she's the same one. Lol

I worried about her, & I feel bad but she is always getting frustrated with computer problems. I would like her too be more secure, even if she get a Chrome book or even a Mac.the big deal here, is MSN games. I have set her up with chrome before, and she goes back to IE because MSN games doesn't work right, or something.

what is best for mom? Should I improve on her Windows machine, with more proactive antivirus or by putting her on a limited user account? Or should I go to a different operating system, and if so what about MSN games? Lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

Windows is extremely targeted by junkware and virus's (95% of the worlds population uses Windows). I would suggest a different OS, maybe Linux. Ubuntu or Mint, those are the 2 distros I prefer. Everything she does should work fine. I have had a few customers that were extreme repeats, every month they would be infected and have junkware even with anti-virus software and anti-malware software, of course I took the blame! I finally asked a few of them what they did on the machine, the ones who only did web based things I moved to Linux. I have only heard back from one of them and that was because they couldn't find their games, they forgot to mention they played solitaire and hearts. Linux has game packs that are free so the problem was remedied. Linux or Mac OS would be the step I would take.

My grandmother at 83 years old uses linux Mint and has no problems of course she has never touched a Windows machine so there was no learning disability there.

Edited by zingo156, 25 July 2014 - 07:39 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

What version of Windows is she using?

Setting her up with a limited account prevents a lot of malware from fouling up the whole computer.  It won't be a great solution unless you can connect to it remotely or you see your mother on a regular basis so that you can update software or install what she wants installed.

Another alternative would be to image the machine and just restore the image when it gets fouled up.

#4 Zackers

Zackers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

What version of Windows is she using?

Setting her up with a limited account prevents a lot of malware from fouling up the whole computer.  It won't be a great solution unless you can connect to it remotely or you see your mother on a regular basis so that you can update software or install what she wants installed.

Another alternative would be to image the machine and just restore the image when it gets fouled up.

Win7 home

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Since she is on Windows 7 I'd suggest setting her up with a limited account.  This will limit the damage that can be done.

Instead of Chrome have you tried Firefox?  That will her to use the Adobe version of Flash and hopefully limit the gaming issues.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

hello everyone! My mother owns a computer for 4 reasons. To look at her outlook.com and MSN homepage, to play MSN games, to buy things, and to collect malware.

probably every 2 months or so her "MSN doesn't work" and her computer is slow and they're all these things popping up. God love her,I don't know how she does it. I login via teamviewer, run malwarebytes and I uninstall crazy coupon programs and things that she says she has never seen before.

she also pays bills online and does online banking. She says she uses different passwords for every site, but I bet she's the same one. Lol

I worried about her, & I feel bad but she is always getting frustrated with computer problems. I would like her too be more secure, even if she get a Chrome book or even a Mac.the big deal here, is MSN games. I have set her up with chrome before, and she goes back to IE because MSN games doesn't work right, or something.

what is best for mom? Should I improve on her Windows machine, with more proactive antivirus or by putting her on a limited user account? Or should I go to a different operating system, and if so what about MSN games? Lol

I would like to know what games she plays. The guys gave you great solutions. But MSN Games is the big stumbling block that will lead her back to IE. My guess is whatever games she plays are available elsewhere and could be downloaded and played offline. I see no problem with a limited account unless it affects her access to MSN Games. You have to work within the limitations of that addiction. What AV do you have her using? Is there a free AV available from her ISP? That's what I use.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Removal of Admin rights prevents 94% of IE vulnerabilities and 80% of other vulnerabilities.  This is old information, 2009, but the ideas behind it are sound.  The problem removing Admin rights causes the user to be unable to make certain changes to the machine, so initially there are a lot of issues.  While there are a large number of issues they are minor.  Once the issues are resolved further issues are much less frequent and not severe.

#8 muzramp

muzramp

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

What about using an easy to use Linux distro and possibly installing IE via Wine, that will solve security issues. But sometimes IE in wine can be a little glitchy.

#9 Zackers

Zackers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

Thank you guys. Meanwhile, she buys a lifetime subscription to...I forget the name but it's Windows only and not to popular. It's a long story and she way overpaid but ANYWAY...

Got her on a limited account and introduced her to lastpass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users