Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smart tv wifi question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluekitty

bluekitty

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

So we just got a new Samsung smart LED tv. We do not yet have any internet connection to it and wanted to know the best way to go about this.

We are with Time Warner and have internet/phone/cable bundle(no cable box). Currently we just have the one computer with wired connection. So what

are my options for getting internet to the tv. Talking with time warner has just served to confuse me more. I assume if I upgrade to wifi , I will need a new modem from them. Could not get a straight answer about whether I get a router from them too. I have read that all in ones are no good, is that what they

will try to give me? I see stuff on their website about buying your own modem instead of leasing theirs, but nothing about routers. Also, is there some way

to leave the computer like it is and just connect the tv to wifi? I know this is probably basic stuff to you guys, but this is my first foray into the wifi world and

for some reason my brain just doesn't want to grasp it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

All you need to do to upgrade to WiFi is purchase your own router.

If you get something from Time Warner they will give you a modem/router combo unit. (also so known as a gateway)
Some people think those are the best thing since sliced bread. Others say they have had bad experiences with them.

Personally, I would never use a gateway unit.

It's not difficult to set up a router and create a network. Most of them have disk you can use which will guide you through setting it up, naming your network, giving it a strong password to prevent those outside your house from connecting to the network.

The first time I had to set up a router I was intimidated just thinking about doing it. I bought the router and let it sit in the box for a couple of days. We continued unhooking my desktop from the modem so my daughter could connect her laptop to the modem. Doing that was a pain so I decided to take the plunge. I got it all set up and IT WORKED. Her laptop no longer needed to be connected directly to the modem. It was one of those Wow that was so easy I don't know why I worried about it so much things. If I could do, anyone can.

There is a wide variety of routers and wide price range. You don't need the most expensive one, just something that is a good brand that suits your needs. My suggestion is to look at websites for stores in your area. Places like Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. See what they have available. Ask questions about them here if you have questions about any of them. Keep in mind that what they have on the website may not be available in the local store, but it will give you a good idea of brand and price. If you know the basics you can go to the store knowing what you want and if you talk to a salesperson you will sound like you know what you are talking about (even if you don't understand it all). You can avoid the high pressure attempt to get you to buy the most expensive one they have.

If you have issues setting it up, you can ask here. We will be able to help you get it set up.

I don't have a smart tv so I cannot answer your other questions.

I just looked at your post again. If you get a router you will be able to set the TV up to the network you created and leave the computer as it is hooked up to the modem. You may need to refer to the TV users manual when you get ready to set it up.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#3 bluekitty

bluekitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

When on Time Warner's site, I tried upgrade services just to see what equipment, etc... the say I would need. I am probably going to up from Turbo to Extreme which is not a big price jump. The extreme says it comes with "Free Home WiFi", and if you keep going it asks to select equipment. What they show is an internet w/ free wifi, I assume this is an all in one. I don't want

an all in one, especially from them. I would prefer to lease my modem from them and buy my own router(Queen-Evie, thanks for the confidence boost with router shopping). So, to anyone with experiance with Time Warner, can I take my current modem down to the payment place, tell them I want to add wifi to my account and I don't want your all in one. Give me one of you modems and I'll buy my own router. Will this fly or am I going to get the runaround?

Also, another question. Can I put the modem and router in the hallway(which is basically the center of apt),and have the computer and printer in one room and tv in another. All are wifi ready.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

Do you need a new modem if you upgrade to Extreme?

If so

Tell them you don't want a combo unit. Insist on a regular modem.

If not and your modem is not end of life then keep it.

You don't need to tell them you want to add WiFi. The only thing you need to do is get the router, set up it, and you have WiFi.

They will tell you "with free WiFi" in order to make you think you are getting something for nothing. The reality is you can get the same thing with a regular modem and a router.

Location of the modem and router can be anywhere you want it to be as long there is a cable connection there to hook the modem to. Keep in mind that if you keep your computer as a wired to the modem connection you will need make sure it can be connected to the modem.

If you want your desktop to be wireless, you can purchase a wireless USB adapter for it. No connecting the computer to the modem, which allows you put the computer anywhere in the house.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 25 July 2014 - 06:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users