Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older CD not compatible with Windows 7 64bit

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CheshireCat

CheshireCat

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if i can get some help with this. I recently found an old "family tree" CD i'm trying to open up, but the file says it can't be open because "the version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running." I tried to troubleshoot by having it open from windows xp pack 3 but it won't open. Is there anything else i can try?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Daniel.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

danielstern96, can you tell us if this CD was created by an older software, or what? 

If it was simply images written to CD, these should be viewable. 

My suspicion is that this family tree CD was created with some type of software, designed for an earlier version of Windows. If you happen to have Windows 7 Pro or above, MS offers a free virtual XP machine, otherwise known as Windows Virtual PC with XP Mode. If the software was designed or works with XP, you can install it to XP Mode, if it requires a license, you'll need both the installer (.exe) file & license key. Note that we cannot promise this will work, depending on the age of the software. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

I've ran across a couple of things myself that wouldn't open in Windows 7,  however the CD's were created in the 90's. This would predate XP. 

Good Luck. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 24 July 2014 - 10:57 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 CheshireCat

CheshireCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Hey Cat,

Thanks for getting back to me. In fact the date on the CD says "January 16, 2001" and information on the file tells me it was created in 1998. In the troubleshoot it suggested i open it up through windows XP but it could very well have been made on older software.

Regards,

Daniel.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:26 PM

Yes, that would have been before the release of XP. Possibly anything from Windows 95 through Windows 2000. 

You'll likely need to find an older computer to gain access to the contents of the CD. Ask around, who knows, someone may have an older one sitting, collecting cobwebs & dust bunnies. 

I would like to be of further assistance, but don't see any other option at the moment.  

All the Best,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 CheshireCat

CheshireCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

I guess so. Well i'll look around and hopefully someones got what i'm looking for. Thanks!

Regards,

Daniel.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:56 AM

When you put the CD into the optical drive, can you see the contents of the CD in Windows Explorer? If so, can you determine the file extensions? If you can see the file extensions, then you can search the web for software that may have created those files. Then sometimes you can find "viewer" type programs that will let you view the files.

Also, you may be able to view the files by trying a compatibility mode.

#7 CheshireCat

CheshireCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hey ElfBane,

The extension is simply ".exe". Compatibility modes don't seem to be of much use, at least when used through the troubleshooting.

Regards,

Daniel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users