Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU stuck at low speeds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stryking

Stryking

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

Hello everyone! For the past two weeks or so I've been having a hell of a time with my Samsung Series 3 laptop. For whatever reason it has decided that it will not clock up to proper speeds when doing intensive tasks.

Although my CPU is rated for 2.3GHz it will lock itself in place at either 1.4GHz or 1.8GHz and won't go any higher. I had this problem in the past but a reboot or a system refresh in one case solved the issue. No matter what I've done my laptop still won't budge.

I've tried to get help through Tomshardware, Eight Forums and even the Samsung website but to no avail.

My observations and steps taken

My laptop will either lock in at 1.4GHz or 1.8GHz. Ihave measured my CPU speed with Core Temp, Windows Task Manager, Speccy and CPU-Z.

I was using Windows 8.1 after the problem first developed. I went into my power settings to make sure everything was fine and dandy, went into the Samsung programs provided with my computer to make sure nothing was strange there and even into the AMD Catalyst Control Panel. Nothing I have done will get this thing working.

I decided a system refresh was in order. This is about half an hour after the refresh has been completed and the problem still persists.

For the first little while my processor was hovering around 1.7GHz and then went right up to normal speeds. This lasted for a short while before dropping back to 1.8GHz.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

Update: It appears that the issue has shifted. Instead of always being locked down at a certain speed it performs fine idling but when under stress the speeds fall! Any ideas?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:12 AM

I have no idea really why it would drop speed under stress, unless it was some sort of thermal protection or power saving kicking in.

What processor is it (AMD?, Intel? etc.)?

What temperature is the processor running at? Try at idle, and under stress (running the small FFT test on Prime 95 will stress it properly).

Is the behaviour the same on battery and plugged in to the mains?

Also please can you publish a snapshot using Speccy, and post the link when you reply which might help me or someone else see what is going on.

Edited by jonuk76, 25 July 2014 - 05:19 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

My answers about my specs should be answered in the Speccy screenshots. What you should note is I don't believe I've ever been able to get proper temp readings, no matter what program I used. Behaviour is the same plugged in and on bettery.

4V9ZFQM.png

WTn4SfZ.png

Edited by hamluis, 25 July 2014 - 04:59 PM.
Removed formatting - Hamluis.

#5 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

Theses Speccy shots are interesting but the full report would have been better.

That said, the CPU is reported to be running at 125C. I don't think it could run that hot without tripping thermal protection and/or locking up your system. Does the case/enclosure feel hot in any spots either on the keyboard or underneath? If that temp is correct there should be a largish and very hot spot somewhere. The HDD seems a bit arm to me. The motherboard temp does seem warm but could be the same thing as the CPU. I would also download and run HWMonitor and see if the same or similar numbers show up.

I did a quick check with Samsung's web site and found a single BIOS update mechanism.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/NP355V5C-A03CA-downloads

The file available dates from later in 2012 and I suspect might be the only version for your system.

I'd be tempted to pull it apart and clean, clean, clean before re-assembling it. IDK but I am wondering if this machine has a CMOS battery as it might need to be replaced.

#6 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

This laptop is about a year old and has the latest BIOS update.

Like I said I don't believe it's a heat issue. My processor was running at top speeds when it was idle but I have three examples of it locking down on me.

Opened the Binding of Isaac and it locked to 1.8GHz

Opened Minecraft and the same thing happened

Opened RuneScape and the same think happened

If it were a heat issue the CPU wouldn't be reaching those speeds in the first place

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

I have doubts about those figures being correct as well.  I would have thought the CPU would be on the verge of death at 125 degrees c...  Also I believe the graphics controller (HD7660G) is physically on the APU and that is reporting a more sensible temperature.  However the CPU throttling under load is consistent with overheating...

What CPU temperatures (if any) are reported in BIOS when you first turn it on?

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 dikbozo

dikbozo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

I tend to agree with jonuk76 as regarding the CPU temp being incorrect. My desktop is an Athlon II X4 620 and has never reported any temp for itself other than 0C, ever(it usually runs at idle in the mid 40C range according to motherboard sensors). I have a laptop with an AMD E350 that reports temps of min 45C max 60C on something going by the name of THZN which curiously is the exact temps reported under TMPIN0 of the Radeon 6310 video chip (which is, like yours, integrated physically into the CPU). The CPU has a max clock of 1.6 GHz and a max temp of 90C close to yours at 100C.

I see the cpu-world page for your chip lists low power P-states for your chip, one of which is 1.8 GHz. I wonder if power saving is being invoked. You might try running with a performance profile such that full power is always invoked.

The currently available driver for your video dates from April 24 2014. You might try installing it if you haven't.

#9 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:06 AM

My BIOS does not display any information on temps

As I stated earlier, unless there is some app hindering my CPU (which I haven't found yet, it should be performing at 100%).

What I don't understand is that without games open my CPU runs at the proper speeds. This means if heat was triggering this it wouldn't be running like this even when idle. However, when I open a game the speeds fluctuate for a little while and then tank to either 1.8GHz or 1.4GHz (usually 1.8) 

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Idle CPU temperatures can be considerably lower than full load temps.  On my desktop it can change by 50 degrees depending on the amount of load.  I think I would still take those temperature readings as a warning, even if there is a suspicion they are not correct.  As Dikbozo suggested, my instinct would be to strip it down, check the fan for proper operation, and check the heat sink is making good contact with the CPU and is free of dust, and if all OK clean it all up and re-fit with new thermal compound.

Perhaps not the same exact model but this shows the kind of work involved in doing that.  Or else get a decent tech to do it if it looks too tricky.

Normal applications won't have control over CPU speed although a program with full administrator access could in theory alter them.  But apart from power management settings (which can be set to sacrifice speed for power saving) or some kind of CPU clocking tool, I'm struggling to think of programs that would do that..

Edited by jonuk76, 28 July 2014 - 04:28 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users