Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need information on wireless adapter issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blockinlick

Blockinlick

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Lately I suspect that my PC's [HP H8-1214 HPE Series] wireless adapter is going bad or dislodged. My network connection is going in and out while other devices in my household are getting connections just fine.

Out of curiousity, on several occasions, I bumped my PC a few times to see if my connection would change and a few times it instantly connected... other times it didn't, however.

I'd just like to know where I can find the adapter in my PC, if it's easily acessible, easy to replace, easy to install etc. Or if I should just drop it off at the local Tech store for $80 bucks and let them work it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

According to the HP web site, you have a PCIe card with the network adapter.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03154290&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

That being the case, you should be able to get a replacement and do it pretty easily.  If you do it yourself, just remember to keep yourself grounded so you don't zap a component with a static charge.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

The computer uses a mini PCI-e wireless card. It also is bluetooth. Try reseating the card to see if it helps. Remove the power source, and ground yourself on bare metal of the case before you do it. I don't know how it works with HP desktops but I do know the laptops have a whitelist in BIOS that prevents non-HP wireless cards from being installed. wpgwpg beat me to it.

Here is a similar card. Edit: This is wireless n so if you are still using g you would need a different card.

Edit: HP notebook wifi whitelist

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2014 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Blockinlick

Blockinlick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

"you have a PCIe card with the network adapter."

Alright. Any general idea where I can find it in my computer and how to recognize it among other components? I'm not experienced with hardware beyond the basic HD & RAM-Module basics.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,283 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

If you take off the side cover, it should be standing vertical in the PCI-e slot and possibly have two antenna wires attached to it

Edit: It will be located near your long PCI-e X16 slot

Here is a ebay link you can scroll over the top view of the motherboard. The card would be connected to the white plastic slot labeled mini PCI-e. Looking at it, the card may be positioned horizontally. It's about an inch to the left and two inches above the CMOS battery in the picture.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HP-Envy-H8-1400-Motherboard-Angelica2-M3970AM-HP-PN-696080-001-/261492551284

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 July 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

Click the link in the post by wpgwpg.

After the page loads scroll down and click the + next to 802.11 wireless b/g/n & Bluetooth 3.0 half-length PCI-Express Mini card.

You will see a picture of the device which could help you identify it when you open up the case.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 July 2014 - 09:02 PM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

An even cheaper solution to the problem is to use an external USB wireless dongle - certainly cheaper than $US 80 !  They are available in the UK from about £UK 15 up, so probably $US 20 up. 

And to help you in your identification, here is a photo of a USB dongle (on the left) and a PCI card (on the right) -

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/3893/268663.jpg

And a picture of my USB dongle and how it is mounted. Location with USB dongles can be fairly critical. Pay no attention to the junk and clutter on top of the computer - I never have subscribed to 'Ideal Home' !

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/9316/v3k4.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users