Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes after sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seasun

Seasun

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi,

I actually have two problems. First, when I try to restart the computer after hybernation, I get a blue screen with error listings. I have to shut down and reboot, sometimes more than once before I can restart Windows.

2. I have a Nokia Lumia phone that uses Zune to connect to my computer; however, I get an error message in Zune that says that 'My video hardware isn't compatible with Zune' but, I can't find the video hardware in Device Manager. :scratchhead:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

The video hardware is under 'Display adapters'. Click on the '+' sign at the side of 'Display adapters' and it will open up to show you your video hardware, and indicate if there are any problems with it.

Apart from that, it is a little difficult to help much further without knowing what sort of computer you have. So - make and model please and what version of Windows you are running. And, once you find it in 'Device manager' - what video card have you got ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Seasun

Seasun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Thank you.

The video hardware is under 'Display adapters'. Click on the '+' sign at the side of 'Display adapters' and it will open up to show you your video hardware, and indicate if there are any problems with it.

intel g45/g43 express chipset

My system is a Gateway SX2803 running Windows 7 Home Premium  64 bit SP1

Attached Files

Edited by Seasun, 24 July 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:59 PM

The Intel G45 / G43 chipset is your video hardware, you have an on-board video driver set up. Gateway support is, to say the least, thin on the ground. It might be well worth your time going to the Intel web-site and downloading the latest drivers for this chipset, you will find them here -

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=20598

Your first problem - coming out of hibernation / sleep. It is a known problem with some desktops that they do not take kindly to hibernation, and yours seems to be one of them. The solution is fairly simple. Go into control panel / power options and set sleep to 'Never'. If you are going to be away from your computer for a little while, leave it running. If you are going to be away for a longer period - say more than an hour - turn it off.

Your second problem - your phone, Zune and your computer refusing to play nice, you may find this MS knowledge base article useful -

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-other-devices/windows-phone-7/does-not-support-windows-sp2

Don't be put off by the fact that there has not yet been an SP2 for Win 7, the article does go on to discuss problems with Win 7 !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Seasun

Seasun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:48 PM

The Intel G45 / G43 chipset is your video hardware, you have an on-board video driver set up. Gateway support is, to say the least, thin on the ground. It might be well worth your time going to the Intel web-site and downloading the latest drivers for this chipset, you will find them here -

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=20598

Hi Chris,

I see that they list specific processors for this driver, will it work with the processor on my system?

Intel Pentium Dual-core E6700

Also, should I have any concer about this:

Usage:
These software drivers are generic versions and can be used for general purposes. However, computer original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) may have altered the features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to the software or software packaging they provide. To avoid any potential installation incompatibilities on your OEM system, Intel recommends that you check with your OEM and use the software provided by your system manufacturer.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:23 AM

Short answer - probably not !  But if you go down the page to the 4th paragraph, the one headed 'Confused about what to download?' you will see links to two Intel tools which should get you the correct drivers.

I understand your concern about generic versions etc. and normally I would recommend that you go to the computer manufacturer's web-site for support such as drivers. Gateway is the problem here - support for Gateway computers is like trying to find hens' teeth, I'm not even sure the company is still in business. So, Intel is your best bet.

If you still have any doubts, which I can understand, why not leave this bit until you have had a chance to work through the MS article to see if that solves your Nokia / Zune problem, and then only update or change your chip set drivers if it doesn't work.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Seasun

Seasun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

I understand your concern about generic versions etc. and normally I would recommend that you go to the computer manufacturer's web-site for support such as drivers. Gateway is the problem here - support for Gateway computers is like trying to find hens' teeth, I'm not even sure the company is still in business. So, Intel is your best bet.

If you still have any doubts, which I can understand, why not leave this bit until you have had a chance to work through the MS article to see if that solves your Nokia / Zune problem, and then only update or change your chip set drivers if it doesn't work.

Chris Cosgrove

hahaha! yu are so right about Gateway. I found out last night that the Intel driver thay have listed as the most current for my PC is indeed an older version.

Anyhow, after months of trying to have Zune connect to my phone, the problem was finally solved. Last night I was able to update my phone, and sync it to my computer.

I had searched Microsoft for answers to the problem I was having with Zune, and tried many suggested solutions but nothing helped. I don't know if I ever came across the solution that Zune may have been confusing my computer with Win XP SP1 but, it seems that was the case. After following the instructions in the Knowledge base article you posted above, the problem was solved. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Now, I just hope Microsoft does something about that hypernation problem in Win 7  

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

I am delighted that your problem has been resolved !  As one who is a total Luddite - I don't use a smart phone, unkind friends refer to my mobile as a 'brick'; I don't use 'social' media; and if I want to take photos I pick up my trusty Nikon DSLR - I have little personal experience of connecting smart phones to computers, but the basic principles of inter-connection don't change much.

Remember, in situations like this, Google is your friend !  It took me about five minutes to decide that this KB article was probably as good a starting point for you as any. And when you eventually decide the time comes to replace your existing Gateway buy a Dell, an HP, a Lenovo, an ASUS, anybody who has a track record of support !

Chris Cosgrove

PS  You don't need to quote a previous post in full. Posts are almost never deleted and when they are it is usually because of a gross infringement of forum rules, and the same goes for topics. Just have a look at how far the Win 7 section of BC goes back !  By all means use a quote if there is a particular point in a previous post that you wish to speak to, then we all know exactly what your comments refer to, but it is very seldom necessary to quote a complete post.

C C

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.
Removed no longer relevant reference. ~ OB

#9 Seasun

Seasun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Haha! Again, you are right.  Except for a an HP that I had long, long time ago, Dell has always been my favorite, and I've always had Dell until now. It's been two years now with this Gateway and so far, no complain. I don't know if it last as long as my Dells have.    

Anyhow, most likely I would have ignored this KB article as I looked into articles that addressed the specific error message I was getting from Zune or anything hat had to do with Zune not connecting to my phone but know, that you've made me a happy camper. :) Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users