Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection is odd

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tkelly1

tkelly1

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

A few months ago we got a new router and every device and computer connected like normal. I connected, but it started making me manually connect upon each startup. My dad "fixed" it by uninstalling and reinstalling the netgear software. It worked for a few minutes then stopped connecting altogether. I got it working today by unplugging my actual netgear wireless device thing(sorry, not that technical), and it connected. But the connection doesn't always last more than a few minutes and I have to repeat. I made sure my settings are the same as every other computer, and I don't think it is the actual router. 

Please help. Thanks! 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 July 2014 - 04:39 PM.
Moved to 'Networking'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Have a look at this photo and tell me which of these two is similar to your 'wireless device thing'. The small one on the left is a Netgear USB wireless dongle which fits into a USB socket, the bigger one on the right is an internal wireless card, and all you would see out the back of a tower is the black rod, the aerial.

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/3893/268663.jpg

From experience, Netgear dongles are fussy about the way they are installed. You say your Dad fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing the software. You also need to remove the dongle when told to when doing the uninstall, and do not connect it again until you are asked to when doing the re-install.

If it is a dongle, it could be failing. Have you tried another ?  This is the easiest way to check an equipment.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:48 AM

Have a look at this photo and tell me which of these two is similar to your 'wireless device thing'. The small one on the left is a Netgear USB wireless dongle which fits into a USB socket, the bigger one on the right is an internal wireless card, and all you would see out the back of a tower is the black rod, the aerial.

http://imageshack.com/a/img745/3893/268663.jpg

From experience, Netgear dongles are fussy about the way they are installed. You say your Dad fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing the software. You also need to remove the dongle when told to when doing the uninstall, and do not connect it again until you are asked to when doing the re-install.

If it is a dongle, it could be failing. Have you tried another ?  This is the easiest way to check an equipment.

Chris Cosgrove

It's the USB. My dad had me unplug it and we plugged it back in when it told us to. My internet only currently works for a few minutes when I unplug it and plug it back in, it will automatically connect to the network and will let me browse for a small period of time. I don't think it's the software or the hardware, but I don't know what else it could be. It works but it doesn't.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

Wireless range is only good for about 100 feet,,, less if there are obstructions such as walls. How far away are you from the router?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

OK, you have a USB dongle.

Elfbane makes a good point, and the simplest way to check it is to  move one of your family's mobile / portable devices to beside your computer and see if it has any problems connecting there. If it connects without any problems, location is not a problem !

You say 'You don't think it is the software or the hardware' but it has to be one of them and my money is on the hardware. With very rare exceptions, software either works or it doesn't. It's the hardware that shows intermittent faults. My advice is still the same - try a different wi-fi dongle and see if that makes any difference. No need to uninstall the Netgear software, just install the drivers for the replacement dongle. It will not affect your computer in the least having the drivers for two different dongles installed

So - try a different dongle. If it works, throw your old one away. If it makes no difference - post back !

Chris Cosgrove

PS - There is no need to quote a complete post as you did above. Posts are only very rarely removed from topics, and almost always because the removed post breached forum rules. By all means use quotes to highlight a particular point you wish to speak to, but it is very seldom necessary to quote the complete post. As an example of highlighting -

I don't think it's the software or the hardware

#6 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:42 PM

Wireless range is only good for about 100 feet,,, less if there are obstructions such as walls. How far away are you from the router?

Probably 20 feet or less. It worked fine with the last router, and will connect for a short period of time before ending the connection.

#7 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:44 PM

I will buy a new one tomorrow. And my mom's laptop works fine in my room so location isnt an issur.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Let us know how you get on, and here's another photo for your collection.

As I said, USB dongles can be quite fussy about their location. Mine is plugged into a socket on the rear panel with an extension cable to mount it at the front of the computer. Don't worry about the remaining mess and clutter in the background of the image. The rear of the computer butts onto an external wall and the signal would have to pass through the metal case to get to the router. Wireless waves do not like going through metal (it's called a Faraday cage !) hence the position. But it is very sensitive vertically. If the mount slips down by as little as one inch, I lose about 25% of my signal.

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/9316/v3k4.jpg

Chris Cosgrove

#9 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:41 PM

I bought a new dongle and my internet now works. However, I'm not sure if it's my computer needing a good cleaning or if it's the dongle I chose but my internet seems to be slow to load a new site. My old dongle was N300 and I got the cheapest one which is N150. Should I return this and spend $5 more on the N300 or would there be no considerable difference? 

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

A wi-fi connection is a bit like a convoy of ships - it goes at the speed of the slowest ship.

Yes, a look at Netgear's specs says the N300 and handle up to 300Mbps, the N150 up to 150 Mbps. If you have a fast cable connection then the N300 will give better performance, but only if your connection and all the other equipment in the chain is delivering more than 140 or so Mbps.

My own phoneline connection bumps along at about 9 - 10 Mbps so there would be no benefit to me in buying the faster dongle. But if you have a seriously fast connection, it might be worth it.

Try experimenting with mounting the dongle in different positions, it can have a marked affect on performance.

But I am pleased to hear that you have a stable connection again.

Chris Cosgrove

#11 tkelly1

tkelly1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:26 PM

Will it say on the router what mbps it is? 

#12 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

My own phoneline connection bumps along at about 9 - 10 Mbps so there would be no benefit to me in buying the faster dongle.

Not necessarily true. If you are transferring files locally (from computer to computer) it will go much faster.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

@ tkelly1. Probably the simplest way for you  to check your service speeds is to run Speedtest - www.speedtest.net - which will give you a measure of the upload and download speeds available to your router. There is no need to log in to get a spot check at any time, but if you do register with the site, which is free, you can get a record of performance over time. There is another way to check this as well and is to go into your router and check the logs. However, as it is not your router, your Mum and Dad might object if you do this !

@ uByte. Your point is well taken, but in my defence let me say that the OP did say it seemed slower to open a new web page.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

. I made sure my settings are the same as every other computer, and I don't think it is the actual router

Just to add pertaining to the Netgear router, it would be beneficial if still under warranty, to have it replaced just to rule out as the culprit. It would also be worth checking or toggling the wifi settings channel, bandwith, broadcast and security mode as these are usually my go to sections when troubleshooting intermittent signal problems or disconnections. Using free inSSIDer or Xirrus would also help monitor your signal strenght and status just in case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users