Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Dell needs video driver for Vista/windows 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geno368

geno368

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

I have a dimension 2350 that I have updated to Windows 7.  I was told that I could use a Vista video driver run in compatability mode to get out of the vga basic 800 x 600. I have not found one yet...can anyone help.  I don't have a video card...it is onboard..

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Have you gone to the Dell web site, put in your service tag, and looked there?  That would be the first place to look.  If you can't get one there, you could try driverguide.com.  If neither of these works, you could always buy a cheap video card and use that.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Unfortunately the only drivers available for the graphics chipset are designed for XP. Your best chance to get it to work for Windows 7 is following these instructions. And if your Windows 7 is 64bit it probably will not work.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

Was did you upgrade from, Vista or XP?

This is the page for Dell Dimension 2350. http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-2350#dimension-2350/drivers?&_suid=140623765309001390504810271016

If you upgraded from XP you are out of luck getting the drivers from Dell. The only OS listed for your model is Windows XP.

In addition, everything listed under Video for your system is for XP and at least one of them is also for Windows 2000.

Your motherboard likely will not support drivers for Windows 7 and Vista.

#5 geno368

geno368
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I did all the suggested before I posted except the one from John C.  That one worked on this old xp machine.  I just had to rum the install in compatability mode....Kudos!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users