Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 64Bit Bluescreen help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IBIubbletea

IBIubbletea

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Lately I have been getting this bluescreen which is pissing me off. The error code is 0xa0000001. It happens whenever I use the computer, The bluescreen happens randomly.

Anyhelp? 

Computer Specs:

Intel Core i7 4770k

ASUS R9 290

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 2133Mhz

Corsair AX760w

Where do I find the error files? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Check out this link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/bsod-0xa0000001/ec508f36-aa4c-4ae2-9a30-8da7fecc2a9e?auth=1

It says "There are many reasons why your system may crash due to these stop errors. The most common scenarios are: Faulty drivers, Hardware issue (especially RAM) or Anti-virus software problem."

Whenever I get one of these errors, I go to the Microsoft web site, click Support -> Errors, and do a search for the code.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 IBIubbletea

IBIubbletea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Piriform Speccy 
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/fDICLsLXuCAqbIUrylb3HTi

Spoiler

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Just to be on the safe side, please download Adata's SSD Toolbox and run it.  There are instructions on the same page.

You are down to 10% free space on this drive, that's 23.7GB.  I would suggest not using this drive for anything except the Windows operating system and their updates.

For testing purposes please uninstall AI Suite 3.

See if this resolves your issue.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 IBIubbletea

IBIubbletea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

Just to be on the safe side, please download Adata's SSD Toolbox and run it.  There are instructions on the same page.

You are down to 10% free space on this drive, that's 23.7GB.  I would suggest not using this drive for anything except the Windows operating system and their updates.

Not sure if the information said I sent said anything about it being something with AMD. I have a few screenshots and pictures which I think is useful.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5F_W3FjVx9Gek55QTZYMWE0NFU&usp=sharing

#7 IBIubbletea

IBIubbletea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:26 PM

Not sure what's going on, Just got a blue screen today with the same error. I have uninstalled AI Suite and have been using it for a while now without any problems until now

Edit. Do you think it is a hardware acceleration problem? I have been using Google Chrome for a while now, Mostly happens when I watch YouTube videos, Just disable the "Use hardware acceleration when available" in settings under "System" Lets see if I have anymore problems.

Edited by IBIubbletea, 06 August 2014 - 11:58 PM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

On an SSD, any of them, 10% needs to be left unpartitioned for the controller to do it job better & will lead to a much longer lifespan. Once you run a good Disk Cleanup, you'll need to work on that, even if you can only leave 10-15GB unpartitioned, this will help. My guess is that you've got a lot of data stored on that SSD that should be on your installed HDD, which has a ton of free space. I'm dual booting (2 two computers) Windows 7 Pro & either Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro, one of the SSD's has only 167GB total space & contains the Recovery Partition also. On both computers, have well over 10% of totally free space at the end (no partition). 

That SSD won't last long as is. The controller is working hard to keep it where it is, and the actual free space you do have should be unpartitioned (Shrank with Windows Disk Management), after Disk Cleanup. 

Have you ran Disk Cleanup as Administrator yet? This purges a lot more than a standard, sometimes several GB's of useless junk. Temp files. Windows Update Cleanup, Service Pack backup & Windows Old files needs to go. Pull up Disk Cleanup & choose to run as Administrator. Analyse, making sure that everything is checked, except error reports & mini dumps, we may need these. That Windows Old folder (your earlier OS) is a total space hogger & needs to go. You can save it to your second HDD, but it needs to be removed from the SSD. The rest, just delete. 

This cleanup will take longer, sometimes much more so, but don't worry, it's working. You'll need to reboot. What's going to happen is this, it'll appear as though Windows Update is reconfiguring at shutdown & restart, this is normal, we're just getting rid of the useless Temp files. 

Once this is done, and you shrink some free space at the end of the drive, before you go to bed, you should reboot the computer & leave it at the login screen all night (the longer the better). This will allow TRIM & Garbage Collection to do their things, as no doubt there's a lot to clean up. When I got my first SSD, didn't know these things, but do now. I can now run SuperAntiSpyware short scans in like 20 seconds & the typing in of my password is the bottleneck that's keeping me from going from pressing the Power button & having a usable browser in about 15-18 seconds. That, I'll have to correct, somehow. It's taking about 22-25 seconds to be checking my email from the press of the Power button. Does that sound fast? Yes (or Maybe to some), but not as fast as it could be. 

It takes longer than that for the security to fully update on Windows 7. On Linux MInt, this isn't really a factor, but again my slow typing is. 

Once you get that drive cleaned up really good, you should see similar speeds. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 IBIubbletea

IBIubbletea
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

On an SSD, any of them, 10% needs to be left unpartitioned for the controller to do it job better & will lead to a much longer lifespan. Once you run a good Disk Cleanup, you'll need to work on that, even if you can only leave 10-15GB unpartitioned, this will help. My guess is that you've got a lot of data stored on that SSD that should be on your installed HDD, which has a ton of free space. I'm dual booting (2 two computers) Windows 7 Pro & either Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro, one of the SSD's has only 167GB total space & contains the Recovery Partition also. On both computers, have well over 10% of totally free space at the end (no partition). 

That SSD won't last long as is. The controller is working hard to keep it where it is, and the actual free space you do have should be unpartitioned (Shrank with Windows Disk Management), after Disk Cleanup. 

Have you ran Disk Cleanup as Administrator yet? This purges a lot more than a standard, sometimes several GB's of useless junk. Temp files. Windows Update Cleanup, Service Pack backup & Windows Old files needs to go. Pull up Disk Cleanup & choose to run as Administrator. Analyse, making sure that everything is checked, except error reports & mini dumps, we may need these. That Windows Old folder (your earlier OS) is a total space hogger & needs to go. You can save it to your second HDD, but it needs to be removed from the SSD. The rest, just delete. 

This cleanup will take longer, sometimes much more so, but don't worry, it's working. You'll need to reboot. What's going to happen is this, it'll appear as though Windows Update is reconfiguring at shutdown & restart, this is normal, we're just getting rid of the useless Temp files. 

Once this is done, and you shrink some free space at the end of the drive, before you go to bed, you should reboot the computer & leave it at the login screen all night (the longer the better). This will allow TRIM & Garbage Collection to do their things, as no doubt there's a lot to clean up. When I got my first SSD, didn't know these things, but do now. I can now run SuperAntiSpyware short scans in like 20 seconds & the typing in of my password is the bottleneck that's keeping me from going from pressing the Power button & having a usable browser in about 15-18 seconds. That, I'll have to correct, somehow. It's taking about 22-25 seconds to be checking my email from the press of the Power button. Does that sound fast? Yes (or Maybe to some), but not as fast as it could be. 

It takes longer than that for the security to fully update on Windows 7. On Linux MInt, this isn't really a factor, but again my slow typing is. 

Once you get that drive cleaned up really good, you should see similar speeds. 

Cat

Wait, I still have my old windows folder? I'm not quite sure where it is located.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Right click onto your "C" drive & if the Windows.old folder is still there, you'll see it. 

To get there. click onto that folder beside the Start icon, or near it. You may have to click onto Computer (options to the left). There, you'll see your partitions & can right click the Windows 8 partition & check. Once Windows 8.1 is up & running good, if this was an upgrade install from Windows 8, there's a Windows.old folder left behind. Unless it's already been deleted. 

Still, you need to organize things better to maximize your space on your SSD. You have two 1TB HDD's installed too (according to Speccy), so start by creating folders that's like the ones on your OS on one. Especially Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Videos & Music folders, these are huge space hogs on a SSD. Move all of your downloads to the one on the HDD. Point your browser(s) to download in the newly created Downloads folder. Same with the other items, that is a ton of space you're using & I'd guess that most of it can be stored just as good (& safer) on the HDD. That way, should your SSD crash, or your OS gets infected, you have it stored off the OS drive. 

Also, if you have System Restore enabled, disable it & delete all Restore Points. It's a waste on a SSD, plus System Restore is not a good substitute for backup, it's unreliable. Disable hibernation, another space hogger, that I see you have enabled. With a SSD, that CPU & 16GB RAM you can clean boot much faster than others "wakes up". To do this, type cmd in the Search box, right click, run as Administrator w/o the quotes "powercfg /h off" (copy/paste the command & press Enter). You'll be prompted to reboot, and will see the space savings begin. 

And finally, with 16GB RAM, you do not need a 32GB pagefile (virtual memory). 1024MB is all you need (mine is 256MB for the sake of having it, with only 12GB installed RAM), if that, but you have to disable hibernation as above first. No wonder your SSD is so full. The majority of SSD users doesn't setup these things, and Windows will way over compensate, costing you precious space. Between System Restore (if enabled), hibernation & that massive page file, is a lot of wasted space. 

Now to make that page file much more lower & where it needs to be. From the Control Panel, type in Performance in the Search box & Enter. There should be an Advanced System Settings to the left, click that. The Advanced Tab is where the Virtual Memory setting is. You should see it, normally it's pre-checked at the top to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" or similar wording. Uncheck this. Under "Drive" (make sure the volume that Windows 8.1 is on being selected), Click "Custom Size". There will be two boxes, a minimum and maximum size. Clear the amounts in these. Type 1024 in each. If you're uncomfortable with that, 2048MB, but no more & then Set, then there may be an additional option that says OK. You'll be required to reboot for the change.

Remember, I'm running fine with 256MB pagefile on less RAM than you. Even my notebooks with 8GB RAM only has 512MB pagefiles. This forces the RAM that you pay for to do it's job. MS's engineers are assuming that everyone are running portables, that they keep a huge load in RAM all the time & they need 2x that to sleep or hibernate. It's another example of MS making Windows 8 as an AIO type of OS & spending more time on the golf course & less on the job. 

Too, you gain additional benefits from your computer performing full reboot & shutdown cycles, things in RAM are truly cleared. The way it is now, both Windows 8 & 8.1 users by default aren't shutting down their computers. MS is doing a nice job of making it's customers think so, but this is only a hybrid shutdown. Kind of like sleeping with one eye open & the other shut. That's also why certain components are reaching normal temps very fast, like in seconds. In a notebook, this certainly doesn't help long term battery life & MS will have to do a better job with the next release. 

Honestly, I believe you'll save a lot more be disabling SR, hibernation & reducing pagefile than the finding & deletion of the Windows.old folder, if still there. If you want it for safe keeping, you can move the Windows.old folder to one of your HDD's, but it needs to be off the SSD (if still existing). 

Hopefully this helps to explain where a lot of your space is. A lot of it. 

Feel free to ask any questions if needed. You may also benefit from the reading of some SSD tutorials to keep these maintained. Physically, you need to do nothing except keep as much free space as possible, TRIM & Garbage Collection takes care of the rest. You do need to make certain that defrag is disabled for the SSD (even that TRIM pass described). Uncheck and defrag or "optimize" features on all partitions of your SSD. That's what it has a controller (firmware) for. You also need to shrink about 10% space from the right end (after you get all of the cleanup done). 

And then let that PC run all night at the login screen. If you're around it, you may hear it rev up a bit, it's the controllers cleaning the SSD up & restoring your speed. Normally, one doesn't need to do this any longer, but in your case, being so full, you need to. Because you don't have the needed amount of free space for the controller to keep these things done at idle. 

Good Luck & again, don't hesitate to ask questions. Fellow SSD users are more than willing to assist. You've got everything you need for a powerhouse PC, but the SSD at this time needs you to help it a bit. These don't need the TLC of years past, but you need to do your best to free all the space you can. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 August 2014 - 01:05 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users