Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Spy/ad, Malware

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oziboi

oziboi

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:59 AM

seriously, i need a general concensus on whats the best anti spy-adware, malware around.
u know i prefer not to pay for my software so....
I have tries spybot & spyware Dr etc but find the former's "Tea Timer" to be a drain
and inifective in removing what it finds. :inlove:

thanks for reading :) :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Edited by oziboi, 01 June 2006 - 07:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:06 AM

Its wise to be asking this question, i still know of quite a few people who do not have a single anti-malware product on there system,and refuse to have one because,and i quote: "it's not made by microsoft,so i dont trust it",oh the arguments ive had with them and some are learning the hard way now.

Well, there are alot of great free pieces of software out there. Its probabaly a good idea to have about three to four pieces of anti-spyware/malware products on your system,you dont really need more than that. A good firewall is needed,not the free one built in to XP,but a proper firewall that works effectively.And,just one anti-virus software,more than one and they will conflict letting things into the system.

Some great pieces of anti-malware software you might consider are:

Win Patrol
SpyBot SD
Ewido (which from another post of yours,i see you have already)
Ad-Aware SE
Spyware Guard
Windows Defender (still in the beta stage, can be dodgy on occassions, but still not a bad kit to have)
SpywareBlaster (not an actual running programme,this adds sites to your blocked sites section in your browser,preventing you from opening pages that are infected.Just remember to keep it updated)

Firewalls:

SyGate 5.6 (I use this one,its no longer supported but still very powerful)
Outpost
ZoneAlarm
Kerio

and i hope you already have an anti-virus product but if not,try one of these:

AVG
Avast

All of the above are totally free,and extremely effective products, it just comes down to personal taste, but id personally recommend Spybot,Adaware SE and Ewido as your main three then whatever else you choose to add and also download SpywareBlaster.

If you look around on the forums,there are lots of recommended freeware products. :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:19 AM

No single program on the market can claim 100% detection/removal so using more than one increases your protection and is recommended. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

BTW: Teatimer is a resident system settings protector that monitors changes to certain system Registry keys such as System Startup, ActiveX Distribution Unit, Browser page and Browser Helper Object - combined features of BHODemon, RegistryProt and SpywareGuard. Just disable TeaTimer if you don't care to use it but keep doing your scans with Spybot.

Edited by quietman7, 01 June 2006 - 08:33 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

You can find both a short discussion of spyware, etc., and links to the free applications mentioned by Graveangel in this BC pinned post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

Because there is no agreement among providers of anti-spyware applications about what precisely consitututes spyware, each will look for and clean a slightly different set; having several applications is therefore a good idea.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 01 June 2006 - 08:25 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 01 June 2006 - 10:37 AM

Personally, I don't care which anti-malware program is the "best". Even the best anti-malware software can't detect 100% of all malware. Instead I believe in a multi-layered and active protection. What I mean by this is rather simple. The base and first line of defense of my computer is my internet monitoring and security programs. For this, I have a firewall (I switch off between Sygate and Windows Firewall), SocketShield (a BETA prevention program by CA), and Spyware Doctor's Network and Internet Shields. My next layer of defense is my real-time monitoring which includes: Spyware Doctor's Real-Time Monitoring, Windows Defender's Real-Time Monitoring, and Sophos's Real-Time Monitoring (sometimes I switch off Sophos and use AVG instead). The final layer is my detection and removal layer which includes: Ewido Anti-Malware, Sophos Anti-Virus, AVG Anti-Virus, Spyware Doctor, A-Squared Anti-Malware, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, HJT, and Windows Defender. Paying for computer security is an option but there are decent alternatives (my PC is clean and I don't pay a penny for security). In a nutshell, there is no 100% cure all anti-malware program, but using multiple anti-malware programs and good safety measures will ensure a clean computer.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#6 oziboi

oziboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:08 PM

thanx fellas
i do use the shield anti virus and firewall, ewido, spybot(although I dont like it-tea timer too slow etc), windows defender(useless in my opinion) as well as windows firewall.(again useless)

thanx dudes :thumbsup:

#7 oziboi

oziboi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

I also use avg free on my notebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users