Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DCOM Server Process Launcher (svchost.exe) CPU HOG

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jamiewh

Jamiewh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Does anybody follow this forum?  I've seen tons of people writing in about some svchost.exe that is slowing down their system.  I have yet to see anyone identify the svchost.exe file that is causing the problem, nor have I ever seen a solution to the problem.  This computer has an AMD 64 5000 dual core processor (2007) running VISTA 32 bit version.

I am Identifying the culprit.  It is the DCOM Server Process Launcher PID 880 on my computer.  Plug and Play also shares PID 880 on my computer.  The DCOM Server Process Launcher cannot be turned off or the computer will shut down.  It also doesn't allow any changes to be made in its PROPERTIES.

I am losing between 50% to 75% of my CPU resources continuously.  This leaves little for the system to use for everything else.  Does anybody out there have a clue as to what the problem might be on this VISTA 32 bit computer.  I've run scans with Malwarebytes, Superantisypware, Windows Malicious Software Remover, etc...... coming up clean.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

You can use Process Explorer to see all of the processes running and can help you identify the process using the most resources.

You can find instructions here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 justnobody

justnobody

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

I actually opened an account just now as I troubleshoot and remove this svchost.exe application file from my friend's computer. You can locate the file and try deleting it but it will not allow you. Here is where I found the virus in:

C:\Users\computername\Appdata\local\temp\...

this Appdata you will not find in your regular user account. You have to get the exact path to the folder where the exe file is; I used trial version of AVG to help me locate the path of this virus. Once you locate it, right click on your task bar. Go to the "Start Task Manager," .. go to "Processes" and locate the svchost.exe file. You will see it running. Make sure to end all of it as soon as possible before another process starts. Once you kill all, go to the folder where the exe file is and delete it. When you do right click on the exe file to delete, you can also have an option to shred the file via AVG if you install. 

Try and see if this is an issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users