Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD failing or virus? Hangs at "Searching for installation" in Sys Repair

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

Prior to the system being unable to boot, it was experiencing a few (related?) issues: intermittent wifi, mystery network connection (?), lagging browser, warbly and slowed Spotify, etc. I'm hoping that it's not the HDD failing, considering that I've years of family photos that I was in the process of backing up when this occurred.

I'm fairly savvy, but this is stumping me, and I've perused a few of the similar posts on the topic here, so I'm hoping to find a solution on this forum. To sum up:
1. Boots into System Repair, hangs on "Searching for Windows installations" at best,
2. it won't boot into Safe Mode, just falls back on error screen allowing for System Repair or boot normally (latter leads to #1 above)
3. Tried booting from install (disc and usb, both), but no change.
4. Tried running portable Win8 from usb, but only blue screened.

The last thing that was processing was a driver auto-install for the new wireless keyboard, though I'm having trouble blaming this all on that alone.

Any help would very much be appreciated. I'm wanting desperately to salvage memories and back them up like I should have long ago. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

You can make a repair disk on another Windows 7 computer that's 32 or 64 bit the same as yours.  Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Backup and restore -> Create system repair disc.  Insert a blank CD-R.  Then you can boot from it and try the repair from that.  If that doesn't work, you can boot to the Command Prompt from that disc and use the XCOPY command to copy your data.  If you need the syntax, just type XCOPY /?.  You can also check your hard drive from the Command Prompt by issuing this command: sfc /scannow.  

Good luck,

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

See comments by Greg Rocker for how you might proceed,  http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/135308-cant-start-windows.html .

Louis

#4 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

It's not that it can't find a Win install. I can see the base window behind the popup and it has the OS listed. It hangs while "searching", so that link isn't helpful. Moreover, it won't boot into Safe Mode, so the suggestions in said post aren't possible to follow.
Any other thoughts?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Not really...when I've encountered that "searching for Windows install" message, I deleted the partition and reinstalled.  My feelling was there's not a lot that I could do if I could not even get Windows to recognize the Windows installation...other than delete the partition, then run a hard drive diagnostic to see if it's worthwhile to try to use said hard drive.

You can't try a Windows repair install because you can't boot into Windows.

I have nothing further that I could suggest...maybe others here do.

Louis

#6 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'm >this< close to swapping out this HDD to clean install on the new one and transfer the files to the replacement, but I'd prefer to get all the facts before shelling out needlessly. Big question: is it failing or is it a virus? If the latter, is there a solution that allowed for salvage of the family albums, iTunes, etc.?

Also, when it blue screens (booting from USB), it throws a "Stop: 0x0000007B
(0x80786B58, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)" error. Any help, people?

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2014 - 02:09 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

Computer make and model number please?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Acer Aspire M3970 (Win7 Home Prem)

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Desktop computer correct?

Have you tried entering your computer's BIOS setup utility and see if any changes were made to your primary hard drive's parameters?

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

I'll do that when I get home in a short while, yes. What changes should I be looking for and where?

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

I believe your hard drive should be set to AHCI.

Once you are home, can you still access this forum board so I can continue helping you from there?

Bruce.

#12 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

Accessing from my phone or tab, yes. Omw.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Okay, it is better if you are at your computer system while I help you, so you can follow my steps closely and I do not have to post too much information all at once.

I may not be available when you first post back, you know, real life comes first, but I will reply ASAP and we'll get past this issue one way or another, as I have many tricks up my sleeve that we can try.

In worst case scenario, we will be able to access your hard drive and get what is on it, that will most likely involve booting to a Linux related CD (Such as Ubuntu), so I may have you download a rescue boot disk setup program which will need to be burned to a disk before we can use it.

Is that at all possible if I ask you to do that part?

Bruce.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Adding to this topic service manual for Acer Aspire M3970

http://data.manualslib.com/pdf2/24/2329/232870-acer/aspire_m3970.pdf?3be13fdb3526acc640c8e8d4cea66a5f&take=binary

Bruce.

#15 Capt.MalcolmSolo

Capt.MalcolmSolo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:10 PM

Ok, all set, and ready to rock this joint. What do you need me to do first?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users