Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Mail - spell checker stops working.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lebulldog

lebulldog

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Maybe someone can help or direct me to a helpful fix as I tried many various posts
and got ridicules advise like disable all my msconfig (that Crapped me up - I fixed
it) to another answer short of deleting my Vista OS and re-installing to fix only one
intermittent problem. I got one telling me to use Windows Live but when I went to
a Windows Live site it displayed : "Windows Live essentials cannot be installed in
Vista? I'm at my wits end, as I found nothing that worked... Even wndows MVP's
can't fix it as I see is now becomming a common problem... 

My system : (A Great Vista one)

HP a1218n Pentium IV
2.55 Gb of Ram / 2.99 Ghz
Microsoft Security Essentials (Antivirus)
Windows Vista Business, 32 bit (with Service Pack 2)
Microsoft Internet Explorer 9

My Problem :

Windows mail worked great for 2 Years, But my only problem is when I check my
SPELLING. before sending an email. Windows mail shuts down, and it says :"
"Windows mail has stopped working" and it restarts and I loose the email. I have
been tiring to get help with this and I can't. Windows mail - Not Windows Live Mail
as the Windows Live Essentials will no longer install in Windows Vista...

I tried...

A full antivirus scan with my updated "Windows Security Essentials" (My only AV)
a full scan with Malware Bytes and Sophons on demand... (On demand a onetime
scan) and I ran the "sfc /scannow" and everything reported - No Problems.

So maybe you can suggest a Spell checker I can go to ? (No Google Chrome or
Firefox - Gmail or Thunderbird) or you can tell me of another Microsoft Email (with
a spell checker) that will work for me ? I really miss my Outlook Express in my old
P. but I really need from someone in the know...

[attachment=152794:Screen Shot.jpg]

Edited by lebulldog, 24 July 2014 - 10:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

If you have Word installed, Vista's Windows Mail will use that for a spell checker.  If you have the right version of MS Office, you could also use Outlook for mail.  Another possibility is Thunderbird which you can download from mozilla.org, it has a spell checker.  I currently have Windows Live Mail installed on my Vista system, so maybe you just need to try downloading Windows Live Mail?  I know MS has changed the name of Windows Live Essentials to just Windows Essentials, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 24 July 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,486 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

First off, Windows Mail is Outlook Express, it has been renamed.

This may seem odd, but one of the suggestion to restart the spell check is to go to Tools, then Languages.  Change the language and restart the computer, then reset the language back to the original language and restart the computer.

I have one computer running Windows 7 and one running Windows 8, so I can't test this method.  Furthermore, I don't use a Windows email client on either computer.

You mentioned Google Chrome and Firefox, these are browsers, not email clients.  Mozilla is the company who created FireFox, their email client is Thunderbird

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 lebulldog

lebulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

If you have Word installed, Vista's Windows Mail will use that for a spell checker.  If you have the right version of MS Office, you could also use Outlook for mail.  Another possibility is Thunderbird which you can download from mozilla.org, it has a spell checker.  I currently have Windows Live Mail installed on my Vista system, so maybe you just need to try downloading Windows Live Mail?  I know MS has changed the name of Windows Live Essentials to just Windows Essentials, for whatever that's worth.

Good luck.

I know this as I tried to get Windows live a few times but every time, I tried the site tells me Windows Live can no longer be Installed In Vista. I am aware of Thunder Bird, but I see  too many negative posts on CNet and it is full of Bloatware. I do not have word but I am considering paying for one.  Thanks for the reply.     

#5 lebulldog

lebulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

First off, Windows Mail is Outlook Express, it has been renamed.

This may seem odd, but one of the suggestion to restart the spell check is to go to Tools, then Languages.  Change the language and restart the computer, then reset the language back to the original language and restart the computer.

I have one computer running Windows 7 and one running Windows 8, so I can't test this method.  Furthermore, I don't use a Windows email client on either computer.

You mentioned Google Chrome and Firefox, these are browsers, not email clients.  Mozilla is the company who created FireFox, their email client is Thunder bird

Oh wow ! I tried the Tools - Options - Language. thing first - It did not work. I did that several times too. I

know Google and Firefox  are browsers (But Gmail and Thunderbird are not). I do not like either anyway.

I tried both. I may have to Bite the Bullet and just get Gmail. I loved my Windows mail. It was fast and

sleek and worked well, just that darn problem with the Spell checker. I wish I could use a third party spell

checker (like IESpell or OESpell). Next I will delete it and reinstall it... I miss Outlook express in my old XP.

I will use Vista ntil 2016 then buy a new system and new OS... Windows 9 or 10.  I did know all that. I'm

not a newbie I have been using Windows nightmares starting with Windows 95, or maybe the Linux is the

way to go. I also read somewhere that if I roll back my IE 9 to IE 8. It may be able to resolve it (Just watch

what I get in the monthly Updates, A tech told me to remove Sliverlight. I did but no fix again. That is my

only problem - all else is great. Nowl ately sometimes, it works, sometimes it does not. The latter is more. Maybe depends which way the wind is Blowing ? But Thanks for your time. Take Care...         

Edited by lebulldog, 24 July 2014 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users