Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop acts weird after sleep

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 YosemiteSam

YosemiteSam

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Hi everyone.

System data

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit

Samsung Intel core i5 [M450 2.40GHz x2]

RAM 4Gb

NVidia GForce 330M

So when I close the lid the laptop sleeps. However when it wakes again it acts weirdly and takes a long time to be usable.

Initially I can open programs etc, but within 1 minute or so of waking it goes strange. The Aero effects go and the start bar now looks like one from Windows XP- grey and basic. The Aero-Peep no longer works either. But the main issue is that the wifi adapter shuts off and I cannot connect wirelessly to any network. Interestingly, perhaps, the LAN cable will still work and I can access online at that point, if it's pluged in. After maybe 5-7 minutes, it all jumps back as though nothing happened and the Aero returns, the bar goes back to its theme colour and the wifi kicks in.

This started a few months ago and was driving me mad- so I searched as much as I could but no one seemed to have exactly these symptoms- some were close but not the same, or caused by sleeping. Weirdly it then went away by itself and was not going into this annoying state at all. But now it's back and is longer and more sluggish after sleep than ever before. I had wondered if a Windows update was to blame but as I didn't have a roll-back I could use, there was little I could do.

I was running Comodo and Avast until yesterday. I uninstalled Comodo and upgraded Avast to provide my Firewall. I really thought maybe Comodo was at fault but it wasnt as it's just as bad today after several restarts and updates.

My hardware drivers are all up-to-date, especially NVIDIA and wireless adapter, so I'm confident it's not as simple as one of those being old.

Anyone had this before? Anyone know a fix or some tests or things I can try? It's really annoying and getting to the point that I'd save time shutting down and rebooting rather than just shutting the lid :(

Thanks in advance. Hope I've been thorough enough with the details and spec....

x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users