Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Virus disables USB ports

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MouseInfected

MouseInfected

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Hi, I would like to say beforehand that I have 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop - and 4 tested computer mice. Two of these mice have worked perfectly for 3 or so years until today. The other two still work, and are more high-tech and modern. 

The older mice were plugged in the laptop but, despite showing the red light (as if they're plugged in) failed to move the mouse cursor. The newer mice had no such problem. Drivers for all were installed. The older mice also failed to work on the desktop.

Now here's a very detailed account of what I did, sorry if it's a bit long but I'm sure the problem is somewhere in there:

I then proceeded to test both of the older mice on another laptop where they functioned well, but I believe they could have gotten a virus on there (that laptop had been definitely clean just a couple days ago). As soon as I plugged one of the old mouse into the previous laptop it began working but the mouse wheel was acting sporadically so I unplugged the mouse, after which the USB ports simply didn't recognize any device. The other one still had the red light, but again didn't move the cursor on the screen.

Stupidly enough, I plugged in the possibly infected mouse into the desktop - and same problem. It was scrolling like crazy (but other than that functioned as it should), and after having unplugged it no other device was recognized in the USB port or they would keep flashing as if they're continously being plugged and unplugged. The other old mouse, once again, had the red light (no flashing) but didn't move the cursor. Now I have to use the front USB ports on my desktop for anything to work. 

I've removed all USB drivers on the laptop and restarted the computer. Not all of them were installed back, and only two reported an error along the lines of 'The driver for this device was not installed' with a red cross. Now I could plug the new mouse in, but it started acting rather sporadically, as if it's broken (slow cursor movement, jumps etc). 

Thank you for reading, now I have some questions:

- How do I fully restore my USB drivers?

- Why is the newer mouse not working properly on the laptop?

- How do I deal with the desktop?

I'm very thankful for any assistance. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users